Joseph, Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg
|Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg|
23 September 1705|
|Died||24 June 1744
Schloss Rotenburg, Germany
|Spouse||Christine of Salm|
|Issue||Anna Viktoria, Princess of Soubise
Maria Ludovika, Duchess of Hoogstraeten
|Father||Ernest Leopold, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Mother||Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort|
Joseph of Hesse-Rotenburg (23 September 1705 – 24 June 1744) was the Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg from his birth till his death in 1744. He was heir apparent to the Landgraviate of Hesse-Rotenburg.
Born at Langenschwalbach, he was the eldest child of Ernest Leopold, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg and his wife Eleonore of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort. He was Heir apparent to the Landgraviate of Hesse-Rotenburg from his birth, and held the title till his death.
His siblings included Polyxena, future Queen of Sardinia; Caroline, future Princess of Condé and wife of Louis Henri, Duke of Bourbon, Prime Minister of France. His youngest sister Christine was Princess of Carignan and mother of the princesse de Lamballe.
He married Christine of Salm, daughter of Ludwig Otto, Prince of Salm, and Princess Albertine of Nassau on 9 March 1726. The couple were married at Anholt and later produced four children, two of which would die young and one who would go on to have progeny.
He died at the Palace of the Landgrave's in Rotenburg an der Fulda (Schloss Rotenburg). In 1753, his wife married again Nicolaus Leopold, Prince of Salm-Salm but had no children. His youngest brother Constantine became Hereditary Prince and later became Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg.
- Landgravine Anna Viktoria (25 February 1728 – 1 July 1792) married Charles, Prince of Soubise, no issue;
- Landgravine Maria Ludovika Eleanore (18 April 1729 – 6 January 1800) married Friedrich Ernst Maximilian of Salm-Salm, Duke of Hoogstraeten, had issue;
- Landgravine Leopoldine Dorothea Elisabeth Marie (1 October 1731 – ?) died in infancy;
- Landgrave Ernest (28 May 1735 – 6 June 1742) died in infancy.
|Ancestors of Joseph, Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg|
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 23 September 1705 – 24 June 1744 His Serene Highness the Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg
References and notes
- van de Pas, Leo. "Joseph, Hereditary Prince of Hessen-Rotenburg". Genealogics .org. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- a daughter of Moritz Heinrich, Prince of Nassau-Hadamar 1653-1679