Joseph Zaphenat Amenowode
|Member of the Ghana Parliament
for Hohoe South
|Preceded by||Kosi Kedem|
|Volta Region Minister|
Jan 2009 – Mar 2012
|President||John Atta Mills|
|Preceded by||Kofi Dzamesi|
|Succeeded by||Henry Ford Kamel|
|Political party||National Democratic Congress (Ghana)|
|Alma mater||Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
|Committees||Committee of Privileges|
Joseph Zaphenat Amenowode is a Ghanaian politician and academic. He was the Member of Parliament for Hohoe South and was the Minister for the Volta Region of Ghana from January 2009 until his dismissal on 6 March 2012 . He has worked as a university lecturer prior to going into politics.
Early life in education
Amenowode's family hails from Ve-Deme in the Hohoe Municipal District of the Volta Region. He was born in Accra, the capital of Ghana. He attended the Hohoe Evangelical Presbyterian Secondary School between 1966 and 1971 obtaining the General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level. He proceeded to Kpando Secondary School for his sixth form education, completing the GCE Advanced Level in 1973. His undergraduate university education was at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology where he obtained the Bachelor of Arts Honours degree in 1979. He continued for an extra year to complete a postgraduate diploma in 1980. In 1991, he obtained a master's degree from the same university. He attended the Pratt Institute in New York City where he completed a Master of Professional Studies degree in Art Therapy in 1997.
Joseph Amenowode is a member of the National Democratic Congress. He first stood for elections in the Ghanaian parliamentary election in 2004, winning with a majority of 17,720 (75.6%) and taking his seat in the fourth parliament of the Fourth Republic. He retained his seat in the 2008 election. In 2009, he was appointed the Volta Regional Minister by the President of Ghana, John Atta Mills, a position he held until he was dropped in a cabinet reshuffle by President Mills in early 2012.
- "Hohoe Municipal - Members of Parliament - Profile:Hon. Joseph Zaphenat Amenowode (NDC) (Hohoe South)". GhanaDistricts.com. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "Hon.Amenowode Joseph Z". Official website. Parliament of Ghana. 2008-02-04. Archived from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "People Record:Joseph Amenowode". AfDevInfo. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "Elections 2004: Ghana's Parlliamentary and Presidential Elections" (PDF). Electoral Commission of Ghana and Friedrich Ebert Foundation. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "Parliamentary Results Hohoe South (Volta Region)". Ghana Home Page. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "Ministerial reshuffle: Two ministers sacked!". MyJoyOnline. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "President Mills swears-in Victor Smith, Kamel Ford as Regional Ministers". General news. Ghana Home Page. 26 March 2012. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
|Parliament of Ghana|
|Member of Parliament for Hohoe South
2005 – present
|Volta Regional Minister
2009 – 2012
Henry Ford Kamel
|This article about a Ghanaian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|