Avellone at Suffolk University Law School in 2014.
|Wellesley Board of Selectmen|
|Chairman, Wellesley Board of Selectman|
Joseph Charles Avellone III
September 29, 1948
Fremont, Ohio, U.S.
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College|
Harvard Medical School
John F. Kennedy School of Government
|Branch/service||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1979–1991|
Joseph Charles "Joe" Avellone III, M.D. (born September 29, 1948) is an American medical doctor, businessman, and politician from Massachusetts. He was a surgeon at Concord Hospital for four years, Selectman for the town of Wellesley, Massachusetts for six years, and was Executive Vice President for Clinical Research Services at PAREXEL International. He unsuccessfully sought the Democratic nomination for the 2014 Massachusetts gubernatorial election. (He declared his candidacy for Governor of Massachusetts in January, 2013.)
After completing medical school at Harvard, Avellone joined the United States Navy Reserve, earning the rank of Lieutenant Commander. He later served as Health Care Advisor to Senator Paul Tsongas during the senator's 1992 Presidential Campaign and on the Finance Committee for then-Senator John Kerry's 2004 Presidential Campaign. Avellone has also worked as a health care executive since 1991, serving in senior roles in several corporations.
Early life and education
Avellone moved to New Hampshire to pursue a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth College, where he played rugby and was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. After completing his undergraduate education in 1970, he attended Dartmouth Medical School for two years. He enrolled in Harvard Medical School for his final two years, and went on to earn a master's degree in Public Administration from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.
Surgical career and military service
After graduation from Harvard Medical School, Avellone did his residency at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, now known as Brigham and Women's Hospital. He went on to work as a surgeon at Concord Hospital in New Hampshire for four years. In 1979, Avellone joined the Navy Reserve as a member of the Medical Corps.
Health industry career
Following his surgical career, Dr. Avellone has worked as a healthcare executive in the Boston Area. He served as Chief Operating Officer of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts for seven years. While at Blue Cross, Avellone headed HMO Blue, a health maintenance organization focused on lowering healthcare costs by limiting fees and coordinating care.
He then worked as CEO of biomedical company Veritas Medicine. In 2007 he began working for PAREXEL International, becoming Senior Vice President for Clinical Research in 2010, holding that position until October 1, 2013. He now holds a small advisory position at PAREXEL.
In 1990, Avellone ran successfully for the Board of Selectman in the town of Wellesley, Massachusetts. He was sworn in the following year, and won reelection five times. During his third term, he served as Chairman of the Board of Selectmen. Two years after his election, Avellone joined Senator Paul Tsongas' Presidential Campaign as a Healthcare Advisor. He has worked on the Presidential Campaigns of John Kerry, Gary Hart, and Edward Kennedy.
2014 Massachusetts gubernatorial campaign
On January 8, 2013, Avellone announced his campaign for Governor of Massachusetts in 2014 when incumbent Governor Deval Patrick retires. At the state party convention on June 14, 2014, Avellone failed to receive the 15% of delegate votes required to make the primary ballot.
Avellone married Sandy Nabhan in 1975. Joe and Sandy currently live in Wellesley, Massachusetts. They have three children.
- Gaines, Lee. "Former Wellesley selectmen announces run for governor". Wicked Local. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Businessweek. "Joseph Avellone: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "About Joe Avellone". Avellone for Governor. Archived from the original on 17 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Time Staff (6 August 1979). "50 Faces for America's Future". Time Magazine. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Healthgreades. "Dr. Joseph C. Avellone III, MD - My Practice Details". healthgrades. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "HMOs struggle to curb rising costs; patients bear brunt". The Standard-Times (New Bedford). January 10, 2011.
- Martin, Diana. "PAREXEL APPOINTS SENIOR HEALTHCARE EXECUTIVE JOE AVELLONE TO CORPORATE VICE PRESIDENT OF CLINICAL RESEARCH OPERATIONS". PAREXEL. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Bob Salsberg (February 8, 2014). "Dem gov hopeful Avellone cites business experience". The Washington Times.
- Noah Bierman and Michael Levenson (January 7, 2013). "Donald Berwick, former Obama health care official, mulling run for governor". Boston.com.
- Jim O’Sullivan (April 11, 2014). "Joe Avellone calls Democratic Party convention rule unfair". Boston Globe.
- Miller, Joshua; Johnson, Akilah (June 19, 2014). "Kayyem, Avellone fail to qualify for gubernatorial primary". The Boston Globe. Retrieved June 19, 2014.