Baume was a favourite pupil of Antoine-Jean Gros and a frequent contributor to the Salon between 1819 and 1878. In the time of King Louis Philippe he was commissioned to paint several large battle-pieces for Versailles. His "Henri III. on his Death-bed" was in the Luxembourg in 1903.
- "Joseph Beaume Auction Results", Joseph Beaume on artnet, retrieved 18 March 2017
- Leslie, Frank (26 September 1885), "Deaths of the Week", Frank Leslie's Illustrated News Paper, 59–61, p. 87 "Joseph Beaume, a distinguished French painter aged 87 years"
- "Base Léonore", Ministère de la culture (in French), retrieved 20 April 2017
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Williamson, George C., ed. (1903), "Beaume, Joseph", Bryan's Dictionary of Painters and Engravers (A–C), I (New, revised and enlarged ed.), London: George Bell & Sons, p. 102
- Media related to Joseph Beaume at Wikimedia Commons