22 January 1978 |
Joseph Calleja, (born 22 January 1978 in Attard), is a Maltese tenor. He began singing at the age of 16, having been discovered by tenor Brian Cefai and continued his studies with Paul Asciak. At 19, he made his operatic debut as Macduff in Verdi's Macbeth at the Astra Theatre in Gozo and went on to become a prize winner at the Belvedere Hans Gabor Competition the same year. In 1998, he won the Caruso Competition in Milan and was a prize winner in Plácido Domingo's Operalia International Opera Competition in 1999.
Concerts in Malta
In 2009, Calleja began a series of annual concerts at the Granaries in Malta. The first concert was performed with Michael Bolton. In 2010, he sang with Dionne Warwick and Riccardo Cocciante and his choir of 500 children. In 2011, he appeared with soprano Hayley Westenra and Italian singer Lucio Dalla. In 2012, he was joined by Ronan Keating and Gigi D'Alessio. In 2013, he sang with Zucchero, Rebecca Ferguson, Gianluca Bezzina, Riccardo Cocciante and Tenisha. In 2015, he sang with Anastacia as a special guest.
Calleja's first solo recital disc, Tenor Arias, was released in 2004. He followed that up in 2005 with The Golden Voice. In 2011, his third solo album Joseph Calleja – The Maltese Tenor reached second overall position on the German charts and debuted at number one in the US Billboard Classical Traditional chart. His 2011 DVD of La traviata from the Royal Opera House and costarring Renée Fleming was nominated for a Grammy award.
List of recording and videos
- 2003: DVD of Maria Stuarda featuring Calleja as Leicester, recorded by the Fondazione Orchestra Stabile de Bergamo
- 2004: Solo recital disc, Tenor Arias, conducted by Riccardo Chailly with the Orchestra Sinfonica e Coro di Milano
- 2004: "Puccini Discoveries": Cantata Cessato il suon dell'armi, conducted by Riccardo Chailly with the Orchestra Sinfonica e Coro di Milano
- 2005: Solo recital disc, The Golden Voice, conducted by Carlo Rizzi with the Academy of St Martin in the Fields
- 2009: CD of I Capuleti e i Montecchi featuring Calleja as Tebaldo, conducted by Fabio Luisi
- 2010: DVD of Simon Boccanegra featuring Calleja as Gabriele Adorno with Plácido Domingo in the title role; recorded at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London
- 2011: DVD of La traviata featuring Calleja as Alfredo Germont, recorded at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London (Grammy nomination)
- 2011: Solo recital disc, The Maltese Tenor, with the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
- 2012: Solo recital disc, Be My Love – A Tribute to Mario Lanza, BBC Concert Orchestra, conducted by Steven Mercurio
- 2013: Solo recital disc, Amore, with the BBC Concert Orchestra, conducted by Steven Mercurio and featuring Nicola Benedetti and Ksenija Sidorova
- 2013: CD of Simon Boccanegra featuring Calleja as Gabriele Adorno with Thomas Hampson in the title role; conducted by Massimo Zanetti
- 2016: DVD and Blu-ray of Mefistofele featuring Calleja as Faust, with René Pape in the title role; conducted by Omer Meir Wellber at Bayerische Staatsoper, Munich.
Calleja made a guest appearance on Renée Fleming's album By Request, singing the role of Alfredo in the act 1 closing scene of La traviata. His recording of "La donna è mobile" from Verdi's Rigoletto was featured in the soundtrack for the 2007 film No Reservations, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- Zephoris in Si j'étais roi (Adolphe Adam)
- Tebaldo in I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Vincenzo Bellini)
- Arturo in I puritani (Bellini)
- Elvino in La sonnambula (Bellini)
- Lind in Isabella (Azio Corghi)
- Nemorino in L'elisir d'amore (Gaetano Donizetti)
- Edgardo in Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti)
- Leicester in Maria Stuarda (Donizetti)
- Ernesto in Don Pasquale (Donizetti)
- Roberto Devereux in Roberto Devereux (Donizetti)
- Faust in Faust (Charles Gounod)
- Roméo in Roméo et Juliette (Gounod)
- Don Ottavio in Don Giovanni (Mozart)
- Rodolfo in La bohème (Giacomo Puccini)
- Rinuccio in Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
- Count Almaviva in Il barbiere di Siviglia (Gioachino Rossini)
- Fenton in Falstaff (Giuseppe Verdi)
- Edoardo di Sanval in Un giorno di regno (Verdi)
- Macduff in Macbeth (Verdi)
- The Duke in Rigoletto (Verdi)
- Alfredo in La traviata (Verdi)
- Hoffmann in Les contes d'Hoffmann (Jacques Offenbach)
- Ruggiero in La rondine (Puccini)
- Nicias in Thaïs (Jules Massenet)
- Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly (Puccini)
- Gabriele Adorno in Simon Boccanegra (Verdi)
- Fritz in L'amico Fritz (Pietro Mascagni)
- Nadir in The Pearl Fishers (Georges Bizet)
- "Joseph Calleia - Malta's Hollywood actor". Malta Independent. May 21, 2013. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- "Joseph Calleja". Decca Records. 2003. Archived from the original on 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Joseph Calleja – Maltese Tenor", 18 December 2012)
- "New board elected: Thomas Adès, Joseph Calleja and Alessandro Di Profio new members", European Academy of Music Theatre, 10 October 2015
- "Standing ovations for Calleja at Nobel Prize concert". The Times. Malta. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Malta's Musical Ambassador" (PDF). The Telegraph. London. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- BBC: "Prom 76: Last Night of the Proms 2012"
- "Artist of the Year: Joseph Calleja". Gramophone. London. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Calleja is Appointed Malta's First Cultural Ambassador". Times of Malta. Malta. 2012-02-12. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Joseph Calleja Appointed Air Malta Brand Ambassador". Di-Ve. Malta. 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Brian Kellow (December 2013). "On the Beat". Opera News. New York. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Joseph to give a concert at the U.S. Supreme Court". Decca News. New York. 2013-11-15. Archived from the original on 2014-03-19. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "BOV Joseph Calleja Foundation is Launched". The Malta Independent. Malta. 2013-10-25. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Drake Calleja Trust Website".
- "Joseph Calleja in Concert with Bolton". Times of Malta. Malta. 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Musical giants come together". The Times. Malta. 2011-06-20. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Ronan dines at Villa Parisio". Times of Malta. 20 July 2012. Archived from the original on 30 July 2016.
- "Opera vs. pop – A summer concert in Malta". Euronews. 2013-08-03.
- "Calleja's album second in German charts", The Times, Malta, 28 June 2011
- "Joseph Calleja's new album debuts as vocal bestseller on German charts". The Times. Malta. 2011-07-03. Retrieved 2011-12-25.