Joseph Chilton Pearce
Joseph Chilton Pearce
|Born||January 14, 1926|
Pineville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Died||August 23, 2016 (aged 90)|
Joseph Chilton Pearce (January 14, 1926 – August 23, 2016) was an American author of a number of books on human development and child development and is best known for his books, The Crack in the Cosmic Egg (1971), Magical Child (1977) and The Bond of Power: Meditation and Wholeness (1981). He preferred the name "Joe".
Early life and background
Pearce was born January 14, 1926, in Pineville, Kentucky, US. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He graduated with a BA from the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, received a Master of Arts degree from Indiana University, and did post-graduate studies at Geneva Theological College in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.
Pearce taught college humanities until the mid-1960s, and thereafter devoted himself to writing and lecturing. In the following decades, he has written on themes ranging from child development, mind-heart connection and themes in spirituality, in over 12 books.
He presented the idea of the heart, or compassionate mind, as a category of brain function equal in stature to the thalamus, prefrontal cortex and lower brain. Pearce believed that active, imaginative play is the most important of all childhood activities because it cultivates mastery of one's environment, which he terms "creative competence." Children denied that form of play develop feelings of isolation and anxiety. He also believed that child-parent bonding is crucial, and sees modern clinical childbirth and lack of breast feeding as obstructions to that bonding. Pearce died in August 2016 at the age of 90.
- The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: Challenging Constructs of Mind and Reality (1971) and multiple later editions. ISBN 0-85629-040-8**
- Exploring the Crack in the Cosmic Egg - Split Minds and Meta-Realities (1974) ISBN 0-671-83118-6
- Magical Child (1977) ISBN 0-525-15035-8
- The Bond of Power: Meditation and Wholeness (1982) ISBN 0-7100-9278-4
- Magical Child Matures (1985) ISBN 0-525-24329-1
- Evolution's End: Claiming the Potential of Our Intelligence (1992) ISBN 0-06-250693-5
- The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality (2002) ISBN 0-89281-994-4
- The Biology of Transcendence: A Blueprint of the Human Spirit (2002) ISBN 1-59477-016-6
- Spiritual Initiation and the Breakthrough of Consciousness: The Bond of Power (2003) ISBN 0-89281-995-2
- From Magical Child to Magical Teen: A Guide to Adolescent Development. Inner Traditions/Bear. 2003. ISBN 978-0-89281-996-6.
- Death of Religion and the Rebirth of Spirit: A Return to the Intelligence of the Heart (2007) ISBN 1-59477-171-5
- Strange Loops and Gestures of Creation. Goldenstone Press. 2010. ISBN 978-0-9832261-0-9.
- The Heart-Mind Matrix: How the Heart Can Teach the Mind New Ways to Think (2012) ISBN 978-1-59477-488-1
- Myrtle Heery; Maia Madden (February 1982). 'Joseph Chilton Pearce: The Bond of Power. Yoga Journal. pp. 5–8. ISSN 0191-0965. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- Mercogliano, Chris and Debus, Kim, Interview. Journal of Family Life magazine, Vol. 5 #1 1999.
- "Joseph Chilton Pearce , brief bio". Tanglewood II Symposium - Presenters and Panelists. Boston University College of Fine Arts. 2007. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- "Very Happy Intelligent Children." The Montreal Gazette (Google News Archive). September 26, 1984. p. 47. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- Peirsman (2006) p.14
- Rosemond (2001) p.218
- Mercogliano (2003) p.191
- Honoring the Passing of Joseph Chilton Pearce
- |Joseph Chilton Pearce January 14, 1926 – August 23, 2016
- Mercogliano, Chris (2003) Teaching the Restless: One School's Remarkable No-Ritalin Approach ISBN 0-8070-3246-8
- Rosemond, John (2001) New Parent Power! ISBN 0-7407-1415-5
- Peirsman, Etienne and Peirsman, Neeto (2006) Craniosacral Therapy for Babies and Small Children ISBN 1-55643-597-5
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Joseph Chilton Pearce|
- Joseph Chilton Pearce Library at The Touch the Future Academy
- Kindred Media and Community articles and interviews: http://kindredmedia.org/author/joseph-chilton-pearce/
- Joseph Chilton Pearce website at http://www.JosephChiltonPearce.org
- Institute for Applied Meditation : Interview with Joseph Chilton Pearce
- Waking Up To The Holographic Heart : Joseph Chilton Pearce 1998 Interview
- Touch The Future : Bio page and links
- EnlightenNext : Bio page and bibliography