|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Joseph Marie Anthony Cordeiro
|Cardinal, Archbishop of Karachi|
|Predecessor||James Cornelius van Miltenburg, O.F.M.|
|Successor||Simeon Anthony Pereira|
|Ordination||24 August 1946|
|Consecration||7 May 1958|
|Created Cardinal||5 March 1973
by Pope Paul VI
19 January 1918|
Bombay, British India (now India)
|Died||11 February 1994
Cordeiro was educated at St Patrick's High School, Karachi, the University of Bombay and Oxford University. He received his religious training at the Papal Seminary in Kandy, Sri Lanka, and was ordained a priest in Karachi, Pakistan on August 24, 1946.
From 1946 to 1948, he did pastoral work in Hyderabad and Karachi.
He then attended Oxford University, where he earned a Master of Arts degree.
In 1950 he was appointed Vice Principal of St Patrick's High School, Karachi. From 1952 he served as principal of St Francis Grammar School in Quetta and as rector of the St. Pius X Minor Seminary in Quetta. On 7 May 1958, he was appointed Archbishop of Karachi, with his seat at Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Karachi.
He attended the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965), the First Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, Vatican City (1967), the First Extraordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, Vatican City (1969) and the Second Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, Vatican City (1971). He was elected a member of the Council of the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops (1971).
He was the first Pakistani cardinal, a position elevated by Pope Paul VI (1973). He attended both papal conclaves in 1978, and was mentioned as papabile by Time Magazine after Pope John Paul I's death.
From 1958 until his death, Cordeiro was president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Pakistan.
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
On 6 May 2011, The Old Patricians (former students of St Patrick's school) presented the Joseph Cardinal Cordeiro Gold Medal to the top student from the Cambridge A level section at the closing ceremony of the 150th anniversary of the school.
His Alma Mater, St. Patrick’s High School named the Cardinal Cordeiro Silver Jubilee Auditorium in his honor.
- "Joseph Marie Anthony Cardinal Cordeiro". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Colgrove, Rosemary (2010-01-01). Eye on the Sparrow: The Remarkable Journey of Father Joseph Nisari, Pakistani Priest. Hillcrest Publishing Group. ISBN 9781936400874.
- "UCANews.com February 14, 1994".[permanent dead link]
- "A Light That Left Us Amazed". Time.com. 16 October 1978. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "UCANews.com December 2, 1994".
- "UCANews September 17, 2010". Archived from the original on 22 May 2011. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- The Old Patricians website accessed 8 April 2012
- UCANews April 18, 2012 Archived 22 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine.