Joseph Estlin Carpenter
Joseph Estlin Carpenter
|Born||5 October 1844|
|Died||2 June 1927(aged 82)|
|Occupation||Unitarian minister, writer|
Joseph Estlin Carpenter (5 October 1844 – 2 June 1927) was a Unitarian minister, the principal of Manchester College, Oxford. He was an expert in Sanskrit and a pioneer in the study of comparative religion.
Carpenter was educated at University College School, London, and the University of London, where he read mental and moral philosophy. He was minister of Oakfield Road Church in Clifton (1866-1869) and Mill Hill Chapel in Leeds (1869-1875).
He wrote a biography of his aunt Mary Carpenter, the prolific social reformer and educationalist. In his book The Historical Jesus and the Theological Christ (1911) he defended the historicity of Jesus and criticized the claims of Christ myth theory proponents such as Arthur Drews. Congregationalist Reginald John Campbell wrote that the book contains a "temperate and scholarly criticism of the Christ Myth theories."
- The Life and Work of Mary Carpenter (London: Macmillan & Co, 1879)
- Life in Palestine When Jesus Lived: A Short Hand-Book to the Synoptical Gospels (London: Sunday School Association, 1884)
- Outlines of the History of Religion (London, 1888) [translator]
- The First Three Gospels: Their Origins and Relations. (London: Sunday School Association, 1890)
- The Bible in the Nineteenth Century (1903)
- James Martineau, Theologian and Teacher: A Study of His Life and Thought. (London: Philip Green, 1905)
- Comparative Religion, (London: Williams and Norgate. Home University Library of Modern Knowledge, 1910)
- The Historical Jesus and the Theological Christ (London, 1911)
- Theism in Medieval India: Lectures Delivered in Essex Hall, London October-December, 1919 (London: Williams and Norgate, 1921)
- Estlin Carpenter. The Canterbury Dictionary of Hymnology. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Estlin Carpenter. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 7 October 2015. (subscription required)
- Godfrey, Peter B. (2001). British Involvement in the International Association for Religious Freedom. In Centennial Reflections: International Association for Religious Freedom, 1900-2000. Van Gorcum: The International Association for Religious Freedom. p. 52. ISBN 90-232-3685-8
- Rines, George Edwin; Beach, Frederick Converse. (1905). Carpenter, Joseph Estlin. In The Encyclopedia Americana: A Universal Reference Library. Volume 3. Scientific American Compiling Department.
- Flanagan, Neil A. (1988). Biographical Register 1880-1974. Corpus Christi College. p. 173
- Chakravarty, Bikash. (1998). Poets to a Poet, 1912-1940. Visva-Bharati. p. 70
- Kellogg, Day Otis; Smith, William Robertson. (1902). The Encyclopedia Britannica. Volume 26. Werner. p. 69
- Campbell, Reginald John. (1921). The Life of Christ. D. Appleton & Company. p. 26