Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat cover
|Genre||Children's picture book|
|398.2 E 21|
|LC Class||PZ7.T1115 Jo 1999|
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat is the title of a 1999 book by Simms Taback that won the 2000 Caldecott Medal. The main character is Joseph, a 40-something Jewish farmer, who has a little striped overcoat. When it is old, Joseph makes it into a little jacket and so on until he makes it into a button. Then Joseph loses the button and makes a story out of it. The moral of the story is "you can always make something out of nothing."
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat is based on the Yiddish song I Had a Little Overcoat. Barbara Kiefer, chair of the Caldecott Award Committee, commented, "Vibrant rich colors, playful details, and skillfully-placed die cuts contribute to the books raucous merriment that takes this Yiddish folk song far beyond the simple words."
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat has been favorably received. Publishers Weekly found "With its effective repetition and an abundance of visual humor, this is tailor-made for reading aloud." while Common Sense Media wrote "it will nudge its way onto your list of favorites." Booklist called it "a true example of accomplished bookmaking" and "Taback's mixed-media and collage illustrations are alive with warmth, humor, and humanity. Their colors are festive yet controlled, and they are filled with homey clutter, interesting characters, and a million details to bring children back again and again." The School Library Journal described it as "A book bursting at the seams with ingenuity and creative spirit." 
- Barbara Kiefer Chairs the Caldecott Award Committee. June 1, 1999.
- Caldecott Medal Winners, 1938 – Present. Association for Library Service to Children.
- Judy Halpern. Green Teacher. April 1, 2003.
- Angie West, Jodi Stevens, Cheryl Delia, Valerie Bradshaw, and Mike Kahn. Joseph Had a Little Overcoat.
- I Had a Little Overcoat
- Joseph Had a Little Overcoat.
- "Joseph Had a Little Overcoat". www.publishersweekly.com. PWxyz LLC. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Joseph Had a Little Overcoat". www.commonsensemedia.org. Common Sense Media Inc. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Joseph had a little overcoat". www.buffalolib.org. Buffalo & Eric County public Library. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
|Caldecott Medal recipient
So You Want to Be President?
|This article about a picture book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|