|Died||13 June 1946 (aged 55)|
|Other names||Julius Katzenstein|
In 1931, his book Eine Geschichte der Juden was published by Rowohlt Verlag in Berlin (and later translated into English, Hebrew and Dutch).
According to Douglas Reed, Kastein was a "zealous Zionist historian... who holds that the Old Testament was in fact a political programme, drafted to meet the conditions of a time, and frequently revised to meet changing conditions.... and that the Law laid down in the Old Testament must be fulfilled to the letter."
- Melchior. Ein hanseatischer Kaufmannsroman. Bremen, Friesen-Verlag, c1927.
- The Messiah of Ismir: Sabbatai Zevi. Translated by Huntley Paterson. New York, Viking Press, c1931.
- Eine Geschichte der Juden. Berlin, Ernst Rowohlt Verlag, 1931. (Reed. Vienna, Löwit, 1935).
- Jews in Germany. Translated from the German by Dorothy Richardson, with a preface by James Stephens. London, The Cresset press, 1934.
- Uriel da Costa, oder, Die Tragoedie der Gesinnung. Berlin, Rowohlt, 1932.
- Juedische Neuorientierung. Vienna, R. Loewit, 1935.
- History and destiny of the Jews. Translated by Huntley Paterson. Garden City, N.Y., Garden City publishing co., inc., 1936.
- Works by or about Joseph Kastein at Internet Archive
- Personality of the Week - Katzenstein at www.bh.org.il
- Maremagnum at www.maremagnum.com
- Guide to the Papers of Josef Kastein (1890-1946) and Shulamith Kastein (1894-1983) at the Leo Baeck Institute, New York.