Kosinski at the Comic Con in San Diego, July 22, 2010
|Born||May 3, 1974|
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, screenwriter|
|Home town||Marshalltown, Iowa|
Joseph Kosinski (born May 3, 1974) is an American television commercial and feature film director best known for his computer graphics and computer generated imagery work. He made his big-screen directorial debut with the Disney Digital 3-D science fiction film Tron: Legacy, the sequel to the 1982 film Tron. His previous work has primarily been with CGI related television commercials including the "Starry Night" commercial for Halo 3 and the award-winning "Mad World" commercial for Gears of War.
Life and career
His first major film was the special effects-laden Tron: Legacy. Using high-speed digital cameras, such as Vision Research Phantom models, the film was in Disney Digital 3D and IMAX 3D, with a release of December 2010.
After moving to Los Angeles, California, in 2005, he began writing a film treatment which would eventually develop into an unpublished graphic novel by the title Oblivion for Radical Comics. In August 2010, Walt Disney Pictures acquired the rights. William Monahan worked on the screenplay for a film adaptation. In March 2011, it was reported that Karl Gajdusek would rewrite the screenplay. Attempts to keep the film at a PG rating were unsuccessful leading to Disney giving up the rights, which were then acquired by Universal Pictures which agreed to a PG-13 rating. The $120-million-budgeted Oblivion began filming in October 2011, with Tom Cruise in the lead role, and was released in April 2013.
Kosinski was confirmed to direct the third Tron film in early 2015, but in May of the same year it was announced that Disney had canceled the project. In June 2017 it was announced he was set to direct the sequel to Top Gun, titled Top Gun: Maverick.
Kosinski has been attached to several as-yet-unmade projects, including remakes of 70s science-fiction films Logan's Run, The Black Hole, the science-fiction film Archangels, The Twilight Zone and an adaptation of the video game series, Gran Turismo.
Kosinski is an alumnus of Columbia Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation (GSAPP), currently an adjunct assistant professor of architecture where he helps students in 3D modeling and graphics. In 2008, he spoke in detail about his education in architecture, pushing the technological envelope in commercials and his eventual progression to feature films.
- 2007 AICP Show – Best Visual Effects for the Gears of War commercial "Mad World"
|2010||Tron: Legacy||Yes||Directorial debut|
|2013||Oblivion||Yes||Yes||Yes||Based on his original graphic novel|
|2017||Only the Brave||Yes|
|2020||Top Gun: Maverick||Yes||Filming|
|TBA||The Twilight Zone||Yes|
- Director Joseph Kosinski on Tron: Legacy and the Limitations of CGI-Created Actors
- Barnes, Brooks (December 3, 2010). "Cyberspace Gamble". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. p. AR1. Retrieved December 6, 2010.
Raised in Marshalltown, Iowa — population 26,000 — he [Kosinski] is quiet, polite and interested in other people's opinions in a way that is rare in moviedom's major leagues.
- Official website Archived 2009-02-28 at the Wayback Machine. work portfolio.
- 2007 AICP Show Best Visual Effects.
- The building of a legacy
- "Death Notice: CATHERINE JULIA PROVOST". Chicago Tribune. March 14, 2008.
- Mottle, Jeff. "Interview with Joe Kosinski (Director of TRON Legacy)". cgarchitect.com. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- "First Location Shot from 'Tron 2.0'". Robert Falconer. cinemaspy. 2009-04-08. Archived from the original on 2009-09-05. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Comic-Con: Tron 2 Retitled TRON Legacy; IMAX 3D; Concept Art and New Scene Revealed. Posted on Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 by Peter Sciretta on SlashFilm
- Joseph Kosinski On Oblivion
- Frappier, Rob (August 4, 2010). "Disney Acquires The Rights to Joseph Kosinski's 'Oblivion' [Updated]". screenrant.com. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Kit, Borys (March 16, 2011). "Karl Gajdusek Tapped to Re-Write Disney's Horizons (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (May 20, 2011). "Tom Cruise Commits To $100 Million Universal Sci-Fi Pic 'Oblivion' For Fall". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 21, 2011.
- "'TRON: Legacy' Director Joseph Kosinski Will Return For 'TRON 3′".
- "Disney Not Moving Forward With 'Tron 3' (Exclusive)".
- "Paramount Sets 'Top Gun 2' For July 2019; Joseph Kosinski Firmed For Tom Cruise Pic". Deadline.con. June 30, 2017.
- Warner Bros. Bets on Kosinski for 'Logan's Run' Archived 2009-09-04 at the Wayback Machine., by Chris McKeown, on 22-08-2007, Sci Fi Updates website.
- Black Hole remake by Tron Team
- "Agents Hunt Down Disguised Aliens in 'Archangels'".
- 'Tron' Helmer Joseph Kosinski to Direct 'Twilight Zone' Film (Exclusive)
- "Joseph Kosinski Eyes Adaptation of Videogame 'Gran Turismo' at Sony".
- "Faculty listing at Columbia GSAP website". Archived from the original on 2009-09-04.
- Beyond the Blob—Digital Technology in Columbia's Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, from Columbia Interactive.
- 5D Future of Immersive Design Conference