This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Joseph Lelyveld (born April 5, 1937) was an American executive editor of the New York Times from 1994 to 2001, and interim executive editor in 2003 after the resignation of Howell Raines. He is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author, and a frequent contributor to the New York Review of Books.
In all, Lelyveld worked at the Times for nearly 40 years, starting out in 1962. He graduated from Harvard College in 1958, received a master's degree from the Columbia School of Journalism in 1960, and subsequently a Fulbright Scholarship. At the Times, he went from copy editor to foreign correspondent within three years.
Among Lelyveld's books is Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White, based on his reporting from Johannesburg, South Africa, in the 1960s and 1980s. He received the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1986 for Move Your Shadow.
Lelyveld's book "Great Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle with India" was banned in the Indian state of Gujarat from publication for insinuating that the subject, Mahatma Gandhi, was in a homosexual relationship. This ban receiving a unanimous vote in favor of the state of Gujarat in April of 2011 by Gujarat's state assembly.
- "House of Bondage: A South African Black Man Exposes in His Own Pictures and Words the Bitter Life of His Homeland Today" (foreword to book by Ernest Cole). New York: Random House, 1967. LCCN 67-21147
- Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White New York: Crown, 1985. ISBN 0-8129-1237-3 ISBN 978-0812912371
- Omaha Blues: A Memory Loop. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2005. ISBN 0-374-22590-7 ISBN 978-0374225902. April 6, 2005.
- Great Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle with India Alfred A. Knopf, 2011. ISBN 978-0-307-26958-4, ISBN 978-0-307-26958-4. March 29, 2011.
- "Center for Communication – Bios". Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Lelyveld, Joseph (March 6, 2005). "Breaking Away". New York Times Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Pulitzer Prize Winners: General Non-Fiction" (web). pulitzer.org. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- "Indian state bans Gandhi book after reviews hint at gay relationship". The Guardian. London. March 30, 2011.
- Dubner, Stephen J. (March 21, 2005). "The Vindication of Former New York Times Executive Editor Joe Lelyveld". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Column archive at The New York Review of Books
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Joseph Lelyveld on Charlie Rose
- Works by or about Joseph Lelyveld in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Lelyveld audio interview reporting from the 2008 Republican National Convention for The New York Review of Books
- Review of Lelyveld's Gandhi biography by Christopher Hitchens, July 2011 in The Atlantic