|Country represented||United States|
|Born||c. 1965 (age 54–55)|
|Height||6 ft (183 cm)|
|Partner||Katy Keeley, Tammy Crowson, Maria Lako|
Joseph Mero (born c. 1965) is an American former pair skater. With his skating partner, Katy Keeley, he won silver at the 1984 St. Ivel International, gold at the 1986 Skate America, bronze at the 1987 Skate Canada International, bronze at the 1987 NHK Trophy, and bronze at the 1988 Grand Prix International de Paris. They are four-time U.S. national medalists, having won bronze in 1987 and 1989, and pewter in 1986 and 1988.
Mero began roller skating as a five-year-old and switched to ice skating six years later. Competing with Maria Lako, he placed 5th in junior pairs at the 1983 U.S. Championships. He and Tammy Crowson won the junior bronze medal at the 1984 U.S. Championships.
Partnership with Keeley
Keeley/Mero's first international medal, a silver, came at the 1984 St. Ivel International in England. They stepped onto a national podium for the first time at the 1986 U.S. Championships, taking the pewter medal for fourth place. The following season, they won gold at the 1986 Skate America and bronze at the 1987 U.S. Championships.
In the 1987–1988 Olympic season, Keeley/Mero won bronze at the 1987 Skate Canada International and 1987 NHK Trophy before placing fourth at the 1988 U.S. Championships. In 1988, Keeley sustained a concussion at an ice show in London.
1988–1989 was Keeley/Mero's fifth season together. Granted free ice time at the Ice Capades Chalet in Costa Mesa, California, the pair was training on-ice daily from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. They won the bronze medal at the 1988 Grand Prix International de Paris and then received bronze at the 1989 U.S. Championships. After nationals, they decided to retire from competition.
Partnership with Urbanski
Ban by USFSA
|International de Paris||3rd|
|Prize of Moscow News||4th|
|St. Ivel International||2nd|
With Lako and Crowson
|U.S. Championships||5th J||3rd J|
With Calla Urbanski
- Ludovise, Barbie (January 29, 1989). "Differences Melt Away When This Pair of Skaters Take the Ice". Los Angeles Times.
- Elfman, Lois (August 14, 2014). "Former pairs skater Keeley brings teamwork to OR". IceNetwork.com.
- Hersh, Phil (February 12, 1989). "Scrutiny Of Judges Comes Too Late". Chicago Tribune.
- GRIEVANCES / PERSONS BANNED OR SUSPENDED FROM U.S. FIGURE SKATING MEMBERSHIP / PERSONS PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM U.S. FIGURE SKATING
- "Results Book, Volume 2: 1974–current" (PDF). Skate Canada. Archived from the original on September 20, 2009.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)