Joseph Morrow (Lord Lyon)
The Rev Canon Dr Joseph John Morrow CBE KStJ QC DL LLD is the current Lord Lyon King of Arms. He was appointed to the office on 17 January 2014 and sworn in before the Lord President of the Court of Session on 27 February 2014.
Morrow is a member of the Faculty of Advocates and took silk in September 2015. In 2008 he was appointed President of the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland. He has previously served as Her Majesty's Commissioner for the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (1999-2006), as a First-tier Tribunal Judge (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) (2002-2013), and as President of the Additional Support Needs Tribunals for Scotland (2010-2014).
In 2009 he was appointed as Vice Lord Lieutenant of the City of Dundee, having served as a Labour councillor for the Maryfield ward until that year. He held the positions of Convenor of the Economic Development Committee, Convenor of the Dundee Waterfront Development Board, and was Depute Lord Provost during his time as an elected member.
From 2004-2005 he served as the 108th Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.In 2012, he was appointed Commander of the Venerable Order of St John. In December 2015 he was promoted to the rank of Knight.
His interests include ecclesiastical history and the practical application of ceremonial to state, civil, military and ecclesiastical areas of Scottish life, together with over thirty years' experience in the field of heraldry.
His personal arms are blazoned: Per fess enhanced Or and Purpure overall all three piles conjoined in point counter-changed, the centre pile charged with a maunch (mauche) and the other two with passion crosses of the first. For crest, he has A dexter hand Or holding a dagger erect Purpure hilted and pomelled Or, and for motto: Deo Volente ('God Willing').
- "Former Dundee councillor Joe Morrow made Lord Lyon King of Arms". thecourier.co.uk.
- "New Lord Lyon King of Arms appointed" (Press release). Scottish Government. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Former member of Westwater Advocates Dr Joe Morrow Installed as the Lord Lyon King of Arms". Westwater Advocates.
- "MHTS - About the Tribunal". mhtscotland.gov.uk.
- "No. 26831". The Edinburgh Gazette. 24 August 2010. p. 3309.
- "BBC NEWS - UK - Scotland - Tayside and Central - Political battle in by-election". bbc.co.uk.
- "Office Bearers".
- "No. 60032". The London Gazette. 17 January 2012. p. 786.
- "No. 61426". The London Gazette. 3 December 2015. p. 23750.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
|Lord Lyon King of Arms
|This biography of a Scottish peer or noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This heraldry-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|