Joseph Normand Laplante
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
|Joseph Normand Laplante|
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire|
|Preceded by||Steven J. McAuliffe|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire|
December 28, 2007
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Joseph A. Diclerico Jr.|
|Born||1965 (age 49–50)
|Alma mater||Georgetown University, A.B.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
Joseph Normand Laplante (born 1965) is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire.
Nomination to the bench
He was nominated by George W. Bush on June 13, 2007, to a seat vacated by Joseph DiClerico; and subsequently confirmed by the Senate on December 14, 2007, receiving his commission on December 28, 2007.
- Georgetown University, A.B., 1987
- Georgetown University Law School, J.D., 1990
- Private practice, New Hampshire, 1990–1993
- Senior assistant attorney general, Office of the Attorney General, State of New Hampshire, 1993–1998
- Trial attorney, Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice, 1998–1999
- Assistant U.S. attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts, 2000–2002
- First assistant U.S. attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office, District of New Hampshire. 2002-2007
Laplante is a member of the Webster-Batchelder American Inn of Court, and has served on two New Hampshire Bar Association committees: the New Lawyer’s Committee (past chairman), and the Professionalism Committee (past chairman). He is also an advisory board member of the St. Paul’s School Advanced Studies Program, a program that he attended as a student in 1982.
Judge Laplante has served on the Nashua Region Board of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation (chairman 2006-08), the Nashua Police Athletic League and Youth Safe Haven (chairman 2003-08), and the St. Christopher School Advisory Board. He coordinates the youth wrestling program (K-8th grade) for the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua, and volunteers at the Corpus Christi Food Pantry.
He is a boxing referee, licensed to officiate both professional and amateur bouts.
- "History of the Federal Judiciary". Fjc.gov. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- Laplante Profile on Judgepedia
- District of New Hampshire
- Biography at the Federal Judicial Center.
- The Robing Room- Rate Judge Laplante