Joseph R. Ecker
Joseph R Ecker
|Alma mater||The College of New Jersey|
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
|Known for||Plant biology and epigenetics|
|Awards||2011 George W. Beadle Award, Genetics Society of America|
2009 #2 Scientific Discovery of the Year 2009-TIME Magazine
|Institutions||University of Pennsylvania Salk Institute for Biological Studies|
|Doctoral advisor||Richard Hyman|
|Notable students||Ryan Lister, Hong Qiao, Joseph Kieber, Jose Alonso, Brian Gregory, Sarah Liljegren|
Joseph 'Joe' R. Ecker is an American plant biologist and molecular biologist. He is Professor of Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Laboratory and Director of the Genomic Analysis Laboratory at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies. He is also an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. He holds the Salk International Council Chair in Genetics.
He is also an Adjunct Professor in the Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, UC San Diego.
Dr. Ecker finished his BA in biology in 1978 from The College of New Jersey. He then joined the laboratory of virologist Dr. Richard Hyman and studied herpes viruses at the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. After finishing his PhD degree in 1982, he joined Ronald W. Davis's lab at the Stanford University. In 1987 he was appointed as an assistant professor at the Plant Science Institute at the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).
Notable honors and awards
2015 elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
2006 Elected, National Academy of Sciences
2005 American Society of Plant Biologists, Martin Gibbs Medal
2004 Scientific American 50 Research Leader of the Year
2004 International Plant Growth Substances Association Distinguished Research Award
2001 Kumho Science International Award in Plant Molecular Biology
- "Joseph R. Ecker- Salk Institute - Faculty & Research - Faculty". www.salk.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Joseph Ecker". biology.ucsd.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- Trivedi, Bijal P. (2007-02-27). "Profile of Joseph R. Ecker". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 104 (9): 3023–3025. doi:10.1073/pnas.0607124104. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 1805523.
- "Joseph R. Ecker, PhD | HHMI.org". Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- Wessler, Susan R. (2011-04-01). "The 2011 George W. Beadle Award Joseph R. Ecker". Genetics. 187 (4): 993–994. doi:10.1534/genetics.111.127852. ISSN 0016-6731. PMC 4238846.
- "InsideSalk - 02|10 Issue "TIME" Ranks Epigenome Study No. 2 Scientific Discovery of 2009". Retrieved 2015-09-26.