|Member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives
from the 12th (Providence) district
5 January 1999 – 4 January 2011
|Succeeded by||Leo Medina (D-12)|
|Born||Joseph S. Almeida, Jr.
September 23, 1957
|Alma mater||Roger Williams College|
Almeida was born on September 23, 1957, in Providence. He attended high school at the La Salle Academy, graduating in 1975, and majored with a BA from the Roger Williams College in 1990. He is married and has 5 children. In September 1997, Almeida retired as a Providence police officer.
Almeida was a financial strategist and owned a bar prior to being first elected a Rhode Island State Representative, on November 3, 1998. Almeida kept his seat in the general assembly until September 14, 2010, when he lost unapposed to Leo Medina in the general election. Almeida was elected again in November 2012 and returned to represent District 12.
During his second term in office, Almeida was elected as the majority leader for the Democratic party on March 25, 2014. Following his arrest in 2015, Almeida resigned from his position as party leader.
On February 10, 2015, Almeida was arrested and charged by Rhode Island State Police for misappropriating $6,122 in campaign funds for personal use. Almeida pleaded not guilty. In a court hearing in May 2015, Almeida was given a $1,000 fine and a year on probation.
On September 16, 1996, Almeida's wife Denise Welsey died at the Rhode Island Hospital from a pulmonary embolism. After his wife's death, Almeida filed a wrongful death claim against the Rhode Island Hospital. The lawsuit was brought to trial in May 2003 and ended with a financial settlement of an estimated $200,000.
- "Joseph Almeida, Jr's Biography - The Voter's Self Defense System - Vote Smart". Votesmart.org. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Office of the Secretary of State: Nellie M. Gorbea: Directory of Government Officials". sos.ri.gov. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- McGowan, Dan (10 February 2015). "Rep. Almeida arrested over campaign finances". wpri.com. WPRI Eyewitness News. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "2010 General Election Results District 12". Rhode Island Board of Elections. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Biography of Representative Joseph S. Almeida". State of Rhode Island General Assembly. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- Blum, Alexander. "R.I. majority leader becomes speaker of the House". browndailyherald.com. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Mulvaney, Katie. "R.I. Rep. Almeida pleads no contest to misusing campaign funds, gets 1 year probation, $1,000 fine". Providence Journal. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Gudrais, Elizabeth. "From The Journal's archives: Finance member's tough times". Providence Journal. Retrieved 16 October 2016.