Joseph Santos (born 1965) is a contemporary American(British and Filipino ancestry) artist/watercolorist. He is known for his watercolor paintings of urban and industrial objects. His work has garnered many awards nationally, including the Paul B. Remmey award at the prestigious American Watercolor Society 138th international exhibition in New York City. His paintings have been exhibited in museums throughout the United States, including the Elmhurst Art Museum in Illinois and the Springfield Art Museum in Missouri. His watercolor paintings have also been featured in national publications including Southwest Art,The Artist's magazine and American Art Collector. Joseph is a signature member of the American Watercolor Society.
Joseph Santos was born in Los Angeles, California, where he lived until the age of five when his family moved to Eastern Washington. After graduating from Pasco High School (Pasco, Washington), Joseph attended Golden West College in Southern California (1984–1986) where he studied art technique and design while also working in his fathers art studio. He started working exclusively in watercolor in the late 1980s and in 1999 started to paint the steel and industrial subjects that he is known for. Inspired by the Precisionism art movement, Santos cites Charles Sheeler and Charles Demuth as influences.
- Shenzhen International Watercolor Biennial, Shenzhen Art Museum, Shenzhen, China. 2013
- American Watercolor Society 135th International Exhibition, New York City.
- American Watercolor Society 138th International Exhibition, New York City.
- American Watercolor Society Traveling Exhibition, 2005.
- National Watercolor Society 82nd National Exhibition, Southern California.
- Transparent Watercolor Society of America Annual National Exhibition. Elmhurst Art Museum, 2004.
2. "Man & Machine" The Artist's Magazine 2007. P.88-91. Man & Machine" Article, Jan/Feb 2007 issue, The Artist's magazine
3. "Iconic Sacto" Smud Gallery - Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission. Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission. September 8, 2011
- Southwest Art Magazine 2009
- Info on askart.com
- Man & Machine" Article, Jan/Feb 2007 issue, The Artist's magazine
- Artists website
- Artists Studio
- Santos' work at Elliott Fouts Gallery
|This article about a painter from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|