Joseph T. Bayly
Born in Germantown, Pennsylvania, Bayly earned his BA at Wheaton College, Illinois, in 1940, and then entered Faith Theological Seminary to gain his BD in 1945. In 1944, Bayly married Mary Lou DeWalt, a classmate at Wheaton College. Bayly was awarded honorary doctorates from Sterling College and Gordon–Conwell Theological Seminary. He was initial east coast staff director for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, editor of His magazine, and director of InterVarsity Press. At the time of his death, Bayly was president of David C. Cook Publishing Company of Elgin, Illinois (now located in Colorado Springs, Colorado).
Among his published works is The Gospel Blimp, which was adapted for film in 1967.
David and Tim Bayly
Two of Joseph T. Bayly's sons, David Bayly and Tim Bayly, are Presbyterian Church in America pastors in the United States. The Bayly Brothers are widely known for their writings at Bayly Blog: Out of our minds too…, named for their father’s column titled "Out of My Mind," published in Eternity magazine from 1961 to 1986. Tim Bayly was Executive Director of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood from 1996 to 2000.
- The Gospel Blimp (1967)
- Congo Crisis (1967)
- Out of My Mind (1970) ISBN 0-8423-4790-9
- The View from a Hearse (1973) ISBN 0-912692-01-4
- Psalms of My Life (2000) ISBN 1-56476-785-X
- Winterflight (1981) ISBN 1-56476-786-8
- Kostenberger, Andreas J. "CBMW executive director challenges fellow pastors". Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood 2/2 (March, 1997).