Truskowski, captain of 1929 Michigan football team
|Sport(s)||Football, basketball, baseball|
Lion's Head, Ontario
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1932–?||Iowa State (asst.)|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Captain, 1929 Michigan Wolverines football team|
Truskowski played three years each at the end position for the Michigan football team and as a forward for the Michigan basketball team. At the end of the 1928 season, he was selected as the captain of the 1929 Michigan Wolverines football team. Truskowski won a total of eight varsity letters at Michigan. While a student at Michigan, he joined Theta Kappa Nu Fraternity.
Following his collegiate athletic career, Truskowski worked as a coach. He was the head football coach at Olivet College in 1931 and the assistant football coach at Iowa State University starting in 1932. He was also the head coach of the Iowa State Cyclones baseball team from 1935 to 1937. Truskowski led Iowa State's baseball team to consecutive Big Six championships in 1935 and 1936. In 1937, Truskowski left Iowa State to become an assistant football coach and head basketball coach at Wayne State University. Truskowski joined the Navy in 1942 and returned to Wayne State in 1945. He also served as the head baseball coach at Wayne State in 1941 and again from 1946 to 1959.
- "1926 Football Team Roster". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "1928 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentely Historical Library.
- "1929 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "Michigan Repulses Penn State, 32 to 11; Truskowski Leads Attack That Turns Back Easterners--Losers Trail at Half, 17-3". The New York Times. January 2, 1929.
- "Big Ten Grid Stars Keen for Basketball". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. January 31, 1930.
- "Joe Truskowski, of Detroit, Is Elected Captain of Michigan for Next Year". Detroit Free Press. November 28, 1928. p. 19.
- "Joe Truskowski, of Detroit, Is Elected Captain of Michigan for Next Year (part 2)". Detroit Free Press. November 28, 1928. p. 21.
- "Lead Their Teams" The Theta News. October 1929.
- "Truskowski Takes Position at Iowa". Ludington Daily News. March 29, 1932.
- "Diamond Reflections: List of Coaches". Iowa State University Library.
- Iowa State University - Bomb Yearbook, Class of 1936, page 260.
- "Truskowski Quits Iowa State to Join Joe Gembis at Wayne". Detroit Free Press. August 16, 1937. p. 11.
- "Truskowski Come Back". Detroit Free Press. September 23, 1945. p. 16.
- "City Mourns Wayne's Joe Truske". Detroit Free Press. July 4, 1959. p. 15.