Joseph Vogel is an American author, scholar, and popular culture critic. He is the author of several books, including Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson and This Thing Called Life: Prince, Race, Sex, Religion, and Music.
Vogel writes about music, literature, film and popular culture. His critically acclaimed 2011 book, Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson, was described by the Associated Press as "a fascinating read and really a must have for any fan of Jackson." Filmmaker Spike Lee characterized it has having "brilliantly cracked the DNA, the code, the artistry of Michael Joseph Jackson." Vogel's work has been featured in The Atlantic, The Huffington Post, and PopMatters. In 2013, he was ranked #15 by Sonifly in a list of "Most Influential Music Journalists in Social Media."
Vogel has published several books, including This Thing Called Life: Prince, Race, Sex, Religion, and Music, James Baldwin and the 1980s: Witnessing the Reagan Era and The Obama Movement. He has appeared in several documentaries, including Spike Lee's Bad 25 (film) and Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall. Vogel is a professor at Merrimack College.
Vogel made national headlines in 2004 when, as Student Vice President of Academics at Utah Valley University, he invited film maker Michael Moore to speak on campus. The invitation incited an uproar amongst the predominantly conservative Utah County community. Vogel subsequently wrote a book about the experience entitled Free Speech 101; the book became a 2007 Independent Publisher Book Award Finalist. An award-winning documentary, This Divided State (in which Vogel appears), also recounts the story of Michael Moore's controversial visit to Utah Valley.
- Vogel, Joseph (2018). This Thing Called Life: Prince, Race, Sex, Religion, and Music. New York: Bloomsbury Academic. ASIN 1501333976.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Vogel, Joseph (2018). James Baldwin and the 1980s: Witnessing the Reagan Era. Illinois: University of Illinois Press. ASIN 0252083369.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Vogel, Joseph (2012). Michael Jackson and the Reinvention of Pop. New York: Baldwin Books. ASIN 1977682901.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Vogel, Joseph (2011). Earth Song - Michael Jackson and the Art of Compassion. New York: BlakeVision Books. ASIN 1976106478.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Vogel, Joseph (2011). Man in the Music - The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson. New York: Sterling Publishing. ASIN 1402779380.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Vogel, Joseph (2007). The Obama Movement - Why Barack Obama Speaks to America's Youth. Lincoln, Nebraska: iUniverse, Inc. ASIN 0595467032.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Vogel, Joseph (2006). Free Speech 101- The Utah Valley Uproar Over Michael Moore. Silverton, Idaho: Windriver Publishing. ASIN 1886249318.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- Householder, Mike. "MJ Book Thankfully Focuses on the Music". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Alhart, Valerie. "University of Rochester Scholar Explores Cultural Legacy of Michael Jackson". University of Rochester. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Joseph Vogel". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Joe Vogel". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Joe Vogel". PopMatters. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Q., Ruben. "Top 20 Most Influential Music Journalists". Archived from the original on 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- "The Chronicle of Higher Education".
- Warner, Laura. "UVSC student officers not backing down". Deseret News. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "Announcing 2007 Independent Publisher Book Awards Results". IP Feature. Independent Publisher. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "This Divided State". Minority Films, LLC. 2005. Retrieved 2008-09-17.