Joseph von Radowitz (general)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Joseph von Radowitz|
|Born||29 July 1899|
|Died||1 June 1956(aged 56)|
|Commands held||23d Panzer Division|
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Joseph von Radowitz (29 July 1899 – 31 May 1956) was a German general during World War II who may have been a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. Radowitz joined the Bundeswehr in 1950s.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class (1917)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (6 October 1939) & 1st Class (26 June 1940)
- German Cross in Gold on 29 February 1944 as Oberst in Panzergrenadier-Regiment 28
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
Radowitz's nomination for the Oak Leaves was received by the Heerespersonalamt (HPA—Army Staff Office) from the troop on 30 April 1945 and approved by all intermittent commanding officers. Major Joachim Domaschk ruled that the nomination was insufficient and disapproved on 1 May and recommended "Decision by Chief of OKW". The file contains no indication whether this decision was ever taken. A teleprinter message was sent on 2 May to the nominating unit, the cavalry corps, and further messages to the commanding officers of the Panzer AOK 2 and Heeresgruppe Süd: "...was disapproved because ... the Führer criteria for the presentation guidelines have not been met. I.A. signed Maisel" The sequential number "882" was assigned by the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR), the presentation date by Fellgiebel.
- Thomas 1998, p. 177.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 364.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 104
- Scherzer 2007, p. 164.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.
Generalmajor Ewald Kräber
|Commander of 23. Panzer-Division
9 June 1944 1944 – 8 May 1945