Josephine Daskam Bacon
|Josephine Daskam Bacon|
February 17, 1876|
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
|Died||July 29, 1961
|Occupation||Novelist, short story writer|
Josephine Daskam Bacon (Mrs. Selden Bacon) (born: Josephine Dodge Daskam) (February 17, 1876 – July 29, 1961) was an American writer of great versatility. She is chiefly known as a writer who made the point of having female protagonists.
Josephine Dodge Daskam was born on February 17, 1876, in Stamford, Connecticut. She later married Seldon Bacon.
Bacon wrote a series of juvenile mysteries, as well as works dealing with more serious themes. She published books of poetry, which were well received by critics; as noted by one critic, some of her poetry was set to music. She was published under the name "Josephine Daskam".
Bacon graduated from Smith College in 1898. She published a collection of ten short stories inspired by her experiences in 1900, intending "to deepen...the rapidly growing conviction that the college girl is very much like any other girl."
- Smith College Stories (1900)
- Sister's Vocation, And Other Girls' Stories (1900)
- The Imp And The Angel (1901)
- Fables For The Fair (1901)
- The Best Nonsense Verses (ed) (1901)
- Whom The Gods Destroyed (1902)
- The Madness Of Philip.. (1902)
- Poems (1903)
- Middle Aged Love Stories (1903)
- Her Fiancé (1904)
- Memoirs Of A Baby (1904)
- The Imp And The Angel (1907)
- The Domestic Adventurers (1907)
- An Idyll Of All Fool's Day (1908)
- Ten To Seventeen (1908)
- Margarita's Soul (1909)
- In The Border Country (1909)
- The Biography Of A Boy (1910)
- While Caroline Was Growing (1911)
- The Inheritance (1912)
- The Strange Cases Of Dr Stanchon (1913)
- The Luck O' Lady Joan (1913)
- To-day's Daughter (1914)
- Open Market (1915)
- Twilight Of The Gods (1915)
- On Our Hill (1918)
- The Golden Eaglet (1918 movie)
- Square Peggy (1919)
- Blind Cupid (1923)
- Truth O' Women (1923)
- Medusa's Head (1926)
- Counterpoint (1927)
- The Luck Of Lowry (1931)
- Kathy (1933)
- The Girl At The Window (1934)
- The Room On The Roof (1935)
- Cassie-On-The-Job (1936)
- The House By The Road (1937)
- The Root And The Flower (1939]
- The Door In The Closet (1940)
- The World In/On His Heart (1941)
- "Josephine Daskam "Poems"". Newspaper unknown; clipping filed with the New York Public Library Archives. New York Public Library Archives; Historical and Public Figures Collection. 1903.
- Lundle, Catherine A. (1996). Restless Spirits: Ghost Stories by American Women, 1872-1926. University of Massachusetts Press. p. 73. ISBN 9781558490567.
- Daskam, Josephine Dodge (1900). Smith College Stories. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Josephine Daskam Bacon
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Josephine Daskam Bacon.|