Josephine Ho in 2007
16 June 1951 |
|Known for||Activism for sexual and reproductive health and rights, sex-positive feminism|
|Spouse(s)||Ning Yingbin 甯應斌|
|Alma mater||National Chengchi University|
She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the National Chengchi University, a Master of Science degree from the University of Pennsylvania, a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Georgia and a Doctor of Philosophy degree from Indiana University.
Zoophilia webpage incident
In April 2003, an article appeared in the China Times claiming that Ho's website had several pages that not only covered the topic of zoophilia, but actively promoted the practice, with images. 13 conservative groups collectively filed a complaint accusing Ho of making obscenities available to children. This sensationalism led to thirteen Christian and conservative organisations collectively filing a complaint with the Taipei District Court. The process lasted for over one year, with a not guilty ruling returned on 15 September, 2004. The reason being that the zoophilia pages were only one part of the website's essays and reports, thus the incorporation of some pictures did not constitute an obscenity.
The incident has been seen as an example of sensationalist media and received international attention as a perceived confrontation between conservative aspects of Taiwanese society and sexual freedom.
- Ho, Josephine (2015). "Localized trajectories of queerness and activism under global governance". In Tellis, Ashley; Bala, Sruti. The Global Trajectoies of Queerness: Re-thinking Same-Sex Politics in the Global South. Leiden & Boston: Brill; Rodopi. pp. 121–136.
- Ho, Josephine (2014). "The perils of sexuality research in aspiring democracies". Sexualities. 17 (5/6): 677–680. doi:10.1177/1363460714531276.
- Ho, Josephine (2005). "From anti-trafficking to social discipline: or, the changing role of "women's" NGOs in Taiwan". In Kempadoo, Kamala; Sanghera, Jyoti; Pattanaik, Bandana. Trafficking and Prostitution Reconsidered: New Perspectivess on Migration, Sex Work, and Human Rights (PDF). Boulder: Paradigm. pp. 83–105.
- He 何, Chunrui 春蕤 (1994). 豪爽女人: 女性主義與性解放 [The Gallant Woman--Feminism and Sexual Emancipation] (in Chinese). Taipei: Huangguan Wenxue Chuban.
Honors & Awards
- (2016) Professor Emeritus of National Central University, Taiwan.
- (2005) 1000 Women for the Nobel Peace Prize (nominated)
- (2004) Outstanding Research Award. National Central University, Taiwan.
- "Web crackdown infringing on freedoms, Ho believes"
- Queer Existence under Global Governance: Or, Is Global Governance Bad for Asian Queers | International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS)
- Taipei Times - archives
- A Sexologist Sparks a Furor in Taiwan
- The prosecution of Taiwan sexuality researcher and activist Josephine Ho
- No Sex, Please, We're Taiwanese
- Chen 陳, Yijun 怡君 (13 November 2006). "動物戀網頁事件何春蕤出書紀錄" [Ho Chuen-juei releases book remembering the zoophilia webpage incident]. Lihpao Daily. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "網站連人獸交 何春蕤無罪確定" [Website links to zoophilia: Ho Chuen-juei is ruled not guilty]. Apple Daily. 9 September 2004. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "Zoophilia Hyperlink Incident". The Center for the Study of Sexualities. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "Chuen Juei "Josephine" Ho". 1000PeaceWomen. 2005. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
|Chinese Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Josephine Ho.|
|This Chinese academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|