Baker during the 2011 NFL season.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Position:||Fullback / Tight end / Special teamer / Return specialist|
|Date of birth:||December 25, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Chesapeake, Virginia|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||244 lb (111 kg)|
|High school:||Chesapeake (VA) Western Branch|
|College:||Northwest Missouri State|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2012|
Joshua Stevenson Baker (born December 25, 1986) is an American football fullback, tight end, special teamer, and return specialist who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Northwest Missouri State and the University of Delaware. He played high school football at Western Branch High School.
Baker began his college career at the University of Delaware in 2005. Although among the team's top scout team players, Baker did not participate in a formal match-up that year. In 2006, he was named the Blue Hens' third string tight end appearing in ten games in a back-up role primarily on running plays and special teams. Baker recorded one catch for no yards and had a 14-yard kickoff return. In 2007, Baker was named the second string tight end and ranked sixth on the team in receiving, totaling 20 catches for 344 yards and 2 touchdowns. In 2008, Baker was suspended from the team for a year after violating the school's three strike policy which included incidents such as underage drinking and having a lit candle in his dorm room.
Baker went to live with his father in Waco, Texas where he attended Collin County Community College and worked at an OfficeMax earning $9.00 an hour, which went toward his community college fees. He also worked with a professional trainer to stay in shape. Delaware retained Baker's athletic scholarship and he returned for his redshirt senior season in 2009. Baker tore multiple knee ligaments in the first quarter of the Blue Hens' first game of the year, ending his season.
Baker was denied a medical redshirt and transferred to Division II Northwest Missouri State. Baker had 66 catches for 838 yards and a touchdown, and 3 rushing touchdowns for Missouri in 2010 and was named to the Associated Press' Little All-America Team.
New York Jets
The New York Jets signed Baker as an undrafted free agent on July 27, 2011. To meet the roster requirement, Baker was waived by the Jets on September 3. He was signed to the team's practice squad a day later. Baker was called up to the active roster on September 27, 2011 following a season-ending injury to tight end Jeff Cumberland. On December 24, 2011, he caught his first career touchdown against the New York Giants. In 11 games of 2011, Baker made 3 receptions for 27 yards and a touchdown. He also returned 3 punts for 60 return yards.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Baker signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on April 1, 2014. He was waived by the Bucs on May 12, 2014.
- "Josh Baker". Northwest Missouri State University Athletics. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Josh Baker". University of Delaware Athletics. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Dyer, Kristian (15 June 2012). "Josh Baker's 'long, crazy journey' to Jets". Metro New York. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Cimini, Rich (29 August 2011). "Long shots: Undrafted and undeterred". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Three Bearcats earn AP All-America honors". Northwest Missouri State University Athletics. 17 December 2010. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Cimini, Rich (27 July 2011). "Jets announce UDFA class". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 27 July 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- Mehta, Manish (3 September 2011). "Jets trim roster to 53; make two trades". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 13 September 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- Vrentas, Jenny (4 September 2011). "Jets awarded four players off waivers, including QB Kevin O'Connell; cut Aaron Maybin". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 26 September 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- Jets Media Relations Department (27 September 2011). "Baker to Active Roster, Cumberland, Turner to IR". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Orr, Conor (11 July 2012). "Jets summer Q&A with fullback/tight end Josh Baker". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Vrentas, Jenny (27 August 2012). "Jets waive/injured Josh Baker, trim roster to 74". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 27 August 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Lange, Randy (19 February 2013). "Five Are Gone, but 'They'll Always Be Jets'". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 19 February 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.