Joshua Aaron Charles
September 15, 1971
Joshua Aaron Charles (born September 15, 1971) is an American actor. He is best known for the roles of Dan Rydell on Sports Night; Will Gardner on The Good Wife, which earned him two Primetime Emmy Award nominations, and his early work as Knox Overstreet in Dead Poets Society.
Charles is the son of Laura (née Heckscher), a gossip columnist for The Baltimore Sun newspaper, and Allan Charles, an advertising executive. He is of Jewish heritage on his father's side, and has described himself as Jewish. He began his career performing comedy at the age of nine. As a teenager, he spent several summers at Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Center in New York, and attended the Baltimore School for the Arts.
Charles' film debut was in fellow Baltimore native John Waters' Hairspray in 1988. The following year, he starred alongside Robin Williams and Ethan Hawke in the Oscar-winning Dead Poets Society. Subsequent film roles have included Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Threesome, Pie in the Sky, Muppets from Space, S.W.A.T, Four Brothers, After.Life, Crossing the Bridge and Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.
On television, Charles played sports anchor Dan Rydell in Aaron Sorkin's Emmy Award-winning Sports Night, which ran for two years (1998–2000) on ABC and earned Charles a Screen Actors Guild nomination. In 2008, Charles played the role of Jake in season one of HBO's In Treatment. In 2009, he returned to network television in the CBS drama The Good Wife. For his work on the series he was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series in 2011 and 2014.
In 1986, Charles headlined a production of Jonathan Marc Sherman's Confrontation. In 2004, he appeared on stage in New York in a revival of Neil LaBute's The Distance From Here, which received a Drama Desk Award for Best Ensemble Cast. In January 2006, he appeared in the world premiere of Richard Greenberg's The Well-Appointed Room for the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, and followed this with a run at the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, portraying the cloned brothers in Caryl Churchill's A Number. In 2007, he appeared in Adam Bock's The Receptionist at the Manhattan Theatre Club. In 2011, Charles was the narrator of the debut episode for NFL Network's A Football Life on New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.
In September 2013, Charles married ballet dancer and author Sophie Flack. Together, Charles and Flack have two children. On December 9, 2014, Flack gave birth to the couple's first child, a son named Rocco. On August 23, 2018, Charles revealed on his Instagram that Flack gave birth to their second child, a daughter named Eleonor.
|1989||Dead Poets Society||Knox Overstreet|
|1991||Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead||Bryan|
|1992||Crossing the Bridge||Mort Golden|
|1995||Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead||Bruce||Uncredited|
|1996||Pie in the Sky||Charlie Dunlap|
|1997||Cyclops, Baby||Brush Brody|
|1999||Muppets from Space||Agent Barker|
|2000||Meeting Daddy||Peter Silverblatt|
|2003||S.W.A.T.||T. J. McCabe|
|2004||Seeing Other People||Lou|
|2005||Four Brothers||Detective Fowler|
|2006||The Darwin Awards||Paramedic|
|2007||The Ex||Forrest Mead|
|2009||Brief Interviews with Hideous Men||Subject No. 2|
|2014||Bird People||Gary Newman|
|2015||I Smile Back||Bruce Brooks|
|2016||Whiskey Tango Foxtrot||Chris|
|2016||Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer||Taub|
|2016||The Drowning||Tom Seymour|
|2019||Framing John DeLorean||Bill Collins|||
|1990||Murder in Mississippi||Andrew Goodman||Television movie|
|1996||Norma Jean & Marilyn||Eddie Jordan||Television movie|
|1997||The Underworld||Ehrlich||Television movie|
|1998–2000||Sports Night||Dan Rydell||45 episodes|
|2002||Our America||Dave Isay||Television movie|
|2005||Stella||Jeremy||Episode: "Meeting Girls"|
|2007||Six Degrees||Ray Jones||4 episodes|
|2008||In Treatment||Jake||8 episodes|
|2008||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Sean Kelley||Episode: "Confession"|
|2009–2016||The Good Wife||Will Gardner||107 episodes, also director (3 episodes)|
|2014–2016||Inside Amy Schumer||Various||4 episodes|
|2015||Masters of Sex||Dan Logan||10 episodes|
|2015||Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp||Blake||6 episodes|
|2016–2017||Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt||Duke Snyder||5 episodes|
|2016–2018||Drunk History||Jay Gould / Alfred Kinsey||2 episodes|
|2017||Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later||Blake||6 episodes|
|2017||Law & Order True Crime||Dr. Jerome Oziel||7 episodes|
|2017||Last Week Tonight with John Oliver||CSI Segment||Episode: “Forensic Science”|
|2019||The Loudest Voice||Casey Close||3 episodes|
|2021||Law & Order: Organized Crime||Vince Baldi||Episode: “Forget it, Jake; It's Chinatown”|
|TBA||We Own This City||Daniel Hersl||Mini-series, Main Cast|
Awards and nominations
- Sandler, Gilbert (July 16, 1996). "Baltimore Glimpses: the Hollywood trail". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
Josh Charles is the son of Laura and Allen Charles
- Josh Charles [@MrJoshCharles] (October 12, 2012). "My grandpa, Wilbur Heckscher" (Tweet). Retrieved September 8, 2013 – via Twitter.
- Desmon, Stephanie (February 17, 2008). "Lillian 'Libby' Charles". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
her son Allan Charles, founding partner of Trahan Burden Charles ... grandson is actor Josh Charles
- Feinberg, Scott (June 21, 2012). "Emmys 2012: Josh Charles on Falling in Love with 'The Good Wife' (Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "Charles Gets Married". Jewz in the Newz. The American Israelite. October 2, 2013. Archived from the original on December 13, 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
Charles’ Jewish father was a prominent Baltimore advertising exec and his mother used to write a popular local newspaper gossip column. (His mother wasn’t born Jewish. Whether she “converted-in” is unknown to me.)
- Forsberg, Chris. "Belichick documentary set for NFL Network – New England Patriots Blog – ESPN Boston". Espn.go.com. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Goldstein, Meredith (October 10, 2011). "A novel life: A former dancer's new career takes shape – Boston Globe". Boston.com. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Webber, Stephanie (September 7, 2013). "Josh Charles Wedding: Good Wife Star Marries Girlfriend Sophie Flack!". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
Josh Charles ... married longtime girlfriend Sophie Flack on Friday, Sept. 6
- Marquina, Sierra (December 12, 2014). "Josh Charles, Wife Sophie Flack Welcome Their First Child Together – a Baby Boy!". Us Weekly. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Josh Charles Reveals The Birth of His Daughter, Instagram, 2018, retrieved August 23, 2018
- Evans, Greg (March 6, 2019), 'Framing John DeLorean' Trailer: Alec Baldwin Stars Alongside Real DeLorean In New Hybrid Film