Canadian para-alpine skier at IPC Nor-Am Cup in the Super G.
|Birth name||Joshua Peter Dueck|
January 13, 1981 |
Kimberley, British Columbia
|Residence||Vernon, British Columbia|
|Height||173 cm (5 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||68 kg (150 lb) (2010)|
|Website||joshdueck.com | thisamazinglife.com|
|Club||Silver Star Mountain Resort|
|Coached by||J. S. Labrie|
|Achievements and titles|
|Highest world ranking||1st|
Josh Dueck (born January 13, 1981) is a Canadian alpine skier. He won a silver medal at the 2010 Winter Paralympics in the men's slalom sit-ski event.  On February 3, 2012, Josh became the first person to perform a backflip on snow in a Sit Ski".
Dueck was born on January 13, 1981 in Kimberley, British Columbia and now resides at Vernon, British Columbia. He was a former freestyle skier and coach before he became disabled. He became disabled when he overshot a demonstration jump in March 2004, breaking his back and left him as a T11 classification. He told reporters, "I knew deeply and intuitively that it was a bad idea".
Dueck has entered the 2010 Paralympics just 6 years after he became disabled. He won silver at the slalom for a time of 1:24.19. “I had a line in mind and I was able to stick to it. I took some chances, got lucky. Pretty sure I had some angels on my side for a few of those gates I was just clipping. Second is awesome.” the 33-year-old said.
Josh Dueck Won both Silver and Gold medals at the Paralympic Games in Sochi, Russia as well as a silver medal at the 2010 games in Vancouver. As an ace sit-skier, Dueck has also won gold in Mono Skier X at the 2011 X Games, bronze at the 2012 X Games and has won multiple IPC World Cup podiums and is the 2009 world downhill champion. To top it all off in February 2012, Dueck shot to international acclaim when he went upside-down and became the first sit-skier to complete a backflip on snow – earning him world-wide notoriety and an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. He is a vocal advocate for workplace safety and accessibility in sport, and in 2013 gave a TED Talk about his experiences.
- "Josh Dueck". Canadian Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Canada adds gold to 3 silvers at Paralympics". Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Fanshawe Student Union > Interrobang". Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Results for Josh Dueck from the International Paralympic Committee
- Inspirational and Amazing Freeski Backflip Done by Paraplegic Athlete Josh Dueck
- "Inspirational and amazing freeski backflip done by parapalegic athlete Josh Dueck — CBS News". Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Josh Dueck, 2013 Adventurers of the Year — National Geographic". National Geographic. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Canada’s Josh Dueck survives carnage-filled race to win silver in Paralympics sit-ski downhill". canada.com. Retrieved 2 September 2014.