|Born||March 4, 1985|
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
|Other names||Grim Reaper|
|Height||5 ft 6 1⁄2 in (1.69 m)|
|Weight||146 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Division||Featherweight (2011–2014, 2017–present) |
|Reach||70 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Josh Emmett (born March 4, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Featherweight division with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). A professional competitor since 2011, he has also competed for King of the Cage. As of April 1, 2019, he is ranked #8 in the official UFC featherweight rankings.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Emmett was born in Phoenix, Arizona in 1985. He studied psychology in college with the intentions of going into law enforcement and earned his Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree at Menlo College. Emmett wrestled for 14 years; beginning at El Camino Fundamental High School and continuing through his college years. Emmett wrestled his first two seasons at the junior college level before transferring to NAIA Menlo. After his collegiate career was over, he joined Urijah Faber's Ultimate Fitness to continue his desire in competing in combat sports. Emmett is also an accomplished Brazilian jiu-jitsu grappler, he won a world championship in the blue belt no-gi division.
Mixed martial arts career
After compiling an amateur record of 2-0, Emmett started his professional MMA career on October 8, 2011 and made his debut in Capitol Fighting Championship as a Featherweight. He broke his hand in first round and continued with the fight and managed to earn his first win by unanimous decision.
Emmett had a surgery on his broken hand and had a 10 month lay off from competing. He returned to training to prepare for his next fight and broken the same hand on his last sparring session prior to the fight event which forced him to take another long break before returning to the cage.
After his first professional win, he made a move to compete in West Coast Fighting Championship (WFC) and made his debut on August 3 2013 against Mike Ryan, winning via guillotine choke in the first round.
On November 16 2013, he faced Noah Schnable and defeated him in 45 seconds on round one with TKO (punches).
Emmett's third opponent with West Coast Fighting Championship was Adin Duenas on February 15, 2014. He managed to secured a win via unanimous decision.
Two months after the fight with Duenas, Emmettt faced Tramain Smith on West Coast Fighting Championship 9. He won the fight via TKO (punches) on round one.
On September 13, 2014, Emmett was up against Tony Rios and judges awarded a win with unanimous decision in favour of Emmett.
Emmett faced Brandon Ricetti on November 15, 2014 on West Coast Fighting Championship 12 in a five round fight for the lightweight title belt. On the fifth round Emmett loaded with punches, pressing Recetti to falling forward when Emmett hit Ricetti with a knee and Ricetti was KO. The fight was ruled a No Decision at first as Ricetti was grounded when he got kneed. However, the decision was overturned after review of the incident and a win was awarded to Emmett via unanimous technical decision. Emmett was crowned WFC Lightweight Champion.
After the secured the championship belt, Emmett didn't return to compete until almost one year later on October 3, 2015 at KOTC promotion, facing Rocky Johnson, Emmet showed off his submission skils and won the fight via arm-triangle choke.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Emmett was on a 9-0 winning streak before joining UFC.
Emmett made his promotional debut as a short notice replacement on May 8, 2016 against Jon Tuck at UFC Fight Night 87, where he replaced an injured Nick Hein,  Emmett suffered a compound fracture on his left right finger from catching Tuck's spinning back kick  and the fight was halted briefly by referee prior restarted. Emmett secured a win with split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
Emmett faced Felipe Arantes in a featherweight bout on October 21, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 118. He won the fight via unanimous decision. Emmett dedicated this win to his friend's son who has heart condition at age 11 and has gone through an experimental surgery.
Emmett faced Ricardo Lamas on December 16, 2017 at UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. dos Anjos. At the weigh ins, Emmett weighed in at 148.5 pounds, 2.5 pounds over the featherweight upper limit of 146 pounds and the bout proceeded at a catchweight. Emmett forfeited 30% of his purse to Lamas. He won the fight via knockout in the first round.
Emmett faced Jeremy Stephens at UFC on Fox 28, which took place on February 24, 2018 in Orlando, Florida. Despite hurting Stephens in the first round, he lost the fight by knockout in the second round. As a result, Emmett was sidelined for the remainder of 2018 after undergoing successful surgery to correct facial injuries sustained during the Stephens fight.
Emmett is married.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- West Coast Fighting Championship (WCF) Lightweight Champion (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||14 wins||2 losses|
|Win||14–2||Michael Johnson||KO (punch)||UFC on ESPN: Barboza vs. Gaethje||March 30, 2019||3||4:14||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||13–2||Jeremy Stephens||KO (punches and elbows)||UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens||February 24, 2018||2||1:35||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||13–1||Ricardo Lamas||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. dos Anjos||December 16, 2017||1||4:33||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada||Catchweight (148.5 lbs) bout; Emmett missed weight.|
|Win||12–1||Felipe Arantes||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Till||October 21, 2017||3||5:00||Gdańsk, Poland||Return to Featherweight.|
|Loss||11–1||Desmond Green||Decision (split)||UFC 210||April 8, 2017||3||5:00||Buffalo, New York, United States|
|Win||11–0||Scott Holtzman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: VanZant vs. Waterson||December 17, 2016||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||10–0||Jon Tuck||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Arlovski||May 8, 2016||3||5:00||Rotterdam, Netherlands|
|Win||9–0||Christos Giagos||TKO (punches)||West Coast Fighting Championship 16||January 23, 2016||3||2:21||Sacramento, California, United States||Defended the WCFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||8–0||Rocky Johnson||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||KOTC: Total Elimination||October 3, 2015||1||2:45||Oroville, California, United States||Catchweight (165 lbs) bout.|
|Win||7–0||Brandon Ricetti||Technical Decision (unanimous)||West Coast Fighting Championship 12||November 15, 2014||5||0:24||Sacramento, California, United States||Won the WCFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Tony Rios||Decision (unanimous)||West Coast Fighting Championship 11||September 13, 2014||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Tramain Smith||TKO (punches)||West Coast Fighting Championship 9||April 26, 2014||1||2:28||Sacramento, California, United States||Lightweight debut.|
|Win||4–0||Adin Duenas||Decision (unanimous)||West Coast Fighting Championship 8||February 15, 2014||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Noah Schnable||TKO (punches)||West Coast Fighting Championship 7||November 16, 2013||1||0:45||Jackson, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Mike Ryan||Submission (guillotine choke)||West Coast Fighting Championship 6||August 3, 2013||1||1:52||Placerville, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Emilio Gonzales||Decision (unanimous)||Capitol Fighting Championships: Fall Classic||October 8, 2011||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States||Featherweight debut.|
- "Josh Emmett UFC Profile". ufc.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- "Josh Emmett". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Josh Emmett | MMA Fighter Page | Tapology". Tapology. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Josh Emmett - Official UFC Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- Sherdog.com. "Josh Emmett MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Fighter Rankings | UFC ®". UFC. Retrieved 2019-04-01.
- Urijah Faber (2011-07-27), Team Alpha Male Presents Josh Emmett, retrieved 2017-05-25
- mmaUNDERGROUND (2016-05-07), UFC Rotterdam Josh Emmett: "I accepted this fight before I even found out the opponent", retrieved 2017-05-25
- "Fight Report: West Coast Fighting Championship 11". www.questionablestoppage.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Fight Report: West Coast Fighting Championship 12". www.questionablestoppage.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "King of the Cage: Total Elimination MMA Event Results". The Underground. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Latest, MMA (2016-01-24). "West Coast Fighting 16: A King Is Crowned - MMA Latest". MMA Latest. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Zane Simon (2016-05-06). "Welcome to the UFC, Josh Emmett". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2016-05-06.
- Staff (2016-03-11). "Nick Hein vs. Jon Tuck added to UFC Fight Night 87". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- John Morgan (2016-05-03). "New opponent sought for Guam's Jon Tuck for UFC Fight Night 87". guampdn.com. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Staff (2016-05-04). "Team Alpha Male's Josh Emmett in for Nick Hein vs. Jon Tuck at UFC Fight Night 87". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- MMA House (2016-05-08), GRUESOME UFC fighter Josh Emmett injury from spinning back kick, retrieved 2017-05-25
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-05-08). "UFC Fight Night 87 results: Josh Emmett takes split from Jon Tuck despite broken finger". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "Kennedy vs. Emmett added to UFC on FOX 21". MMA Fighting. 2016-07-22. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Josh Emmett out at UFC on FOX 21; promotion seeks Canadian lightweight replacement". MMAjunkie. 2016-08-19. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "UFC on FOX 22 results: Josh Emmett battles way to decision win over game Scott Holtzman". MMAjunkie. 2016-12-17. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "UFC 210 results: Accurate striking leads Desmond Green to split-decision win in UFC debut". MMAjunkie. 2017-04-08. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-09-22). "Josh Emmett to face Felipe Arantes at UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "UFC Fight Night 118 results: Josh Emmett posts 30-25 score on Felipe Arantes". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-21. Retrieved 2017-10-21.
- MMAjunkie (2017-10-21), Inspired by friend's son, Josh Emmett claims maiden UFC featherweight win, retrieved 2017-10-30
- "UFC on FOX 26: Ricardo Lamas Meets Josh Emmett in Winnipeg". MMA News. 2017-11-27. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- "UFC on FOX 26 weigh-in results: Headliners official, one fighter over, one fight scratched". MMAjunkie. 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "UFC on FOX 26 results: Underdog Josh Emmett scores brutal KO of Ricardo Lamas". MMAjunkie. 2017-12-17. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- "UFC Orlando main event set: Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens". Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Brett Okamoto (2018-02-25). "Jeremy Stephens stops Josh Emmett after controversial strikes". espn.com. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Peter Carroll (2018-06-03). "Josh Emmett details hellish road back to health following Jeremy Stephens KO". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-02-26). "Josh Emmett returns against Michael Johnson at UFC Philadelphia". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-02-26. (in Dutch)
- "UFC Philadelphia: Josh Emmett KOs Michael Johnson with 46 seconds left on clock". MMA Junkie. 2019-03-31. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- Sherdog.com. "Josh Emmett MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-12-19.