Gordon in 2014
|No. 12 Cleveland Browns|
|Date of birth:||April 13, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Houston, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school:||Houston (TX) Lamar|
|Supplemental draft:||2012 / Round: 2|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
Joshua Caleb Gordon (born April 13, 1991) is an American football wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Baylor, and was drafted by the Browns in the second round of the 2012 NFL Supplemental Draft.
Gordon attended Lamar High School in Houston, Texas, where he played football, basketball and ran track. He played basketball as a sophomore. In football, he caught 20 passes for 363 yards and four touchdowns as junior. As a senior, he was named first-team All-District 20-5A after totaling 25 receptions for 531 yards (21.2 average) and nine touchdowns.
He also competed in track & field as a senior, where he ran a leg on the Lamar 4 × 100m and 4 × 200m relay squads, helping them capture the state title in both events with times of 42.69 seconds and 1:30.43 minutes, respectively.
During the college recruitment period Gordon was targeted by Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. According to Rivals.com Gordon was ranked as a 3-star wide receiver while Scout.com rated him as a 2-star at the position.
|Name||Home town||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Houston, Texas||Lamar||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)||225 lb (102 kg)||4.40||Jan 26, 2009|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 75|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 224 (WR) Rivals: 70 (WR) ESPN: 128 (WR)|
Gordon accepted an athletic scholarship to play football for Baylor University. However, in October 2010, during his sophomore year, he and teammate Willie Jefferson were found asleep in a local Taco Bell drive-through lane. Police found marijuana in Jefferson's car. Jefferson, who was driving, was kicked off the team due to it being his second violation, but Gordon was only suspended.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in||224 lb||32⅓ in||10 in||4.52 s||1.57 s||2.64 s||35½ in||10 ft 2 in||13 reps|
Gordon finished among the top rookie receivers in the 2012 draft class. He finished with 50 catches, for 805 yards, and 5 touchdowns. Gordon scored his first career touchdown against the New York Giants, where he finished the game with 2 catches for 82 yards and 2 touchdowns. Gordon had his first 100-yard game against the Oakland Raiders in Week 13, where he finished with 6 catches for 116 yards and 1 touchdown. Gordon had a career high of 8 catches against the Kansas City Chiefs in week 14.
On June 7, 2013, the NFL announced that Gordon would be suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season due to violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. During Week 12, Gordon had 237 receiving yards and in Week 13, 261 yards. It marked the first time in NFL history a wide receiver had back-to-back 200-yard receiving games. On December 26, 2013, He was named the Cleveland Chapter PFWA Player of the Year following the season.
On December 27, 2013, Gordon was voted to his first Pro Bowl selection. Gordon finished the 2013 season as the NFL's leader in receiving yards, with 1,646 yards and was named First-Team All-Pro alongside Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions.
On August 27, 2014, Gordon acknowledged that the NFL suspended him for one year for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. On September 19, 2014, his suspension was reduced to 10 games amidst the new NFL drug policy. Gordon was officially reinstated on November 17.
On December 27, 2014, exactly one year removed from being selected into the Pro Bowl, the Browns suspended Gordon from the final game of the 2014 season due to a violation of team rules.
Gordon was suspended for the entire 2015 season due to violating the league's substance abuse policy.
In January of 2015, Gordon faced another year-long suspension due to testing positive for alcohol use. Gordon entered the NFL's substance abuse program after pleading guilty to a driving while impaired charge in September 2014 and was prohibited from consuming alcohol during his time in the program. Gordon was officially suspended for one year on February 3, 2015 and wasn't eligible to return until the start of the 2016 season.
On July 25, 2016, Gordon was reinstated by the NFL. He was allowed to participate in training camp but was suspended for the first 4 games of the regular season.
|2015||CLE||DNP – Suspension|
*Indicates spent a portion of the season suspended
Awards and achievements
- Most consecutive games, 200+ yards receiving: 2 (11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards)
- Most receiving yards, two-game span: 498 yards (11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards)
- Most receiving yards, three-game span: 649 yards (11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards; 12/08/13, 151 yards)
- Most receiving yards, four-game span: 774 yards (11/17/13, 125 yards; 11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards; 12/08/13, 151 yards)
Browns franchise records
- Most receiving yards, game: 261 yards (12/01/13 vs. Jacksonville)
- Most receiving yards, season: 1,646 yards (2013)
- "Josh Gordon Pro Football Reference Profile". pro-football-reference.com.
- Josh Gordon on Instagram: L'union Fait La Force #Ayiti #BeFree
- "Josh Gordon". Scout.com. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Josh Gordon". Rivals.com. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- McClain, John (July 12, 2012). "Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon hopes to leave his past behind him". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Receiver-starved Browns gamble on Josh Gordon in Supplemental Draft". Sports Illustrated. July 12, 2012. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Davis, Nate (July 12, 2012). "Browns select ex-Baylor WR Josh Gordon in supplemental draft". USA Today. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Schefter, Adam (July 12, 2012). "Browns take Josh Gordon in Round 2". ESPN. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Kay, Joe (June 7, 2013). "Browns WR Josh Gordon suspended for 2 games". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Josh Gordon's consecutive 200-yard games set record
- "Gordon, Thomas honored by PFWA". clevelandbrowns.com. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- Jones, Lindsay (July 5, 2014). "Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon arrested for DWI". USA Today. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- "Josh Gordon suspended 1 year". ESPN. August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- "Browns' Josh Gordon reinstated from suspension". NFL.com. November 17, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2014.
- "Josh Gordon suspended by Cleveland Browns". NFL.com. December 27, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- Wesseling, Chris (February 3, 2015). "Browns' Josh Gordon suspended at least 1 year by NFL". NFL.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Josh Gordon facing 1-year ban". ESPN.com. January 25, 2015. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Josh Gordon fails another substance abuse test, faces 1-year suspension, per report". SB Nation. January 25, 2015. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "NFL suspends WR Josh Gordon". ESPN. 2015-02-03. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Sources: Josh Gordon fails another NFL-administered drug test". Fox Sports. 2016-11-15. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "NFL reinstates Josh Gordon from suspension on conditional basis". ESPN.com.