Mauga at New York Jets training camp in 2013
June 20, 1987 |
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||245 lb (111 kg)|
|High school:||Fallon (NV) Churchill Co.|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
Joshua Mauga // (born June 20, 1987) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He played college football at Nevada.
Mauga was named to The Sporting News All-Freshman team in 2005 after play all season games and notched 32 tackles. In 2006 was second on the team with 56 tackles and also intercepted 3 passes. He moved from outside linebacker to the inside linebacker position in that year. In 2007, he was the WAC leader in tackles before an MCL injury kept him out, he tied on second on team tackles with 82. He was named team captain, an honor rarely bestowed on a junior at Nevada. In his senior season he entered as a contender for WAC Defensive Player of the Year. He played through a torn pectoral muscle managing 54 tackles, 7.5 for loss and 3.5 sacks. He underwent surgery on his torn pectoral muscle on December 17 that cost him playing in the 2008 Humanitarian Bowl.
New York Jets
Mauga was re-signed to the Jets' practice squad on December 10, 2009, but released December 20.
He was re-signed to a future contract on January 6, 2010.
On September 3, 2010, the Jets waived Mauga who was unable to practice during training camp due to a concussion. Mauga was signed to the team's practice squad on September 6, 2010.
Mauga debuted for the Jets against the Green Bay Packers. On October 9, 2012, he was placed on injured reserve after suffering a torn pectoral muscle during a game against the Houston Texans on Monday Night Football.
Kansas City Chiefs
Mauga signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on July 24, 2014. On August 30, 2016, he was placed on injured reserve. On July 6, 2017, Mauga re-signed with the Chiefs. He was released on August 28, 2017.
- Mehta, Manish (September 3, 2010). "Jets in process of trimming roster to 53". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on September 7, 2010. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- Vrentas, Jenny (October 31, 2010), "Linebacker Josh Mauga active vs. Packers for first NFL game", NJ.com, The Star-Ledger, archived from the original on October 31, 2010, retrieved October 31, 2010
- Orr, Conor (10 October 2012). "Jets sign former Colts, Packers DT Daniel Muir in wake of D-line injuries". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 10 October 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Kissel, BJ. "Justin Houston Placed on PUP List, Josh Mauga Out for the Season". Chiefs.com.
- Alper, Josh (July 6, 2017). "Chiefs bring back Josh Mauga, sign Steven Terrell". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.
- Gantt, Darin (August 28, 2017). "Chiefs release linebacker Josh Mauga". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.