March 26, 1980 |
|Height||175 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||72.7 kg (160 lb)|
|College team||Brigham Young University '06|
McAdams attended Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School, where he was a four-time OHSAA state placer in track and cross country and a three time OHSAA state placer in wrestling. He initially attended Belmont University before leaving the school to complete a two-year Mormon mission in Thailand. On returning to school, McAdams switched to Brigham Young University where he was a non-scholarship athlete on the track team. He excelled on the team and won the 3000 meter Steeplechase at the 2006 NCAA National Championships. 
In June 2009 McAdams won the USA Outdoor Steeplechase to become National champion for a second time. McAdams represented USA in the World championships in Berlin, Germany in August 2009.
After a successful 2007, McAdams finished third in the 2008 Olympic Trials for 3,000 meter steeplechase. Following the win at the 2007 AT&T USA Outdoor Championships, he won the gold medal at the 2007 Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 8 minutes 30.49 seconds. Also that year, he improved his personal best time to 8:21.36, ending the 2007 campaign ranked #1 in the U.S. by Track & Field News.
McAdams won the 2006 NCAA Outdoor Championships 3,000m steeplechase title with his then personal best time of 8:34.10. With this victory, he was the first runner from BYU to win a distance National Champion since his coach, Ed Eyestone, who won the 5,000-meter title in 1985.
He qualified for the 2008 Summer Olympics after coming in 3rd at 2008 Olympic Trials.
- 2009: USA Outdoor champion (8:29.91)
- 2008: 9th in opening round at Olympic Games (8:33.26)…3rd at Olympic Trials (8:21.99)...ranked #3 in U.S. by T&FN...best of 8:21.99.
- 2007: USA Outdoor champion (8:24.46)…Pan American Games champ (8:30.49)… 5th in heats at World Outdoors (8:32.46)...2nd at Nike Prefontaine Classic (8:21.36PR)…2nd at Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational (8:23.69)…ranked #1 in U.S. by T&FN…best of 8:21.36.
- 2006: NCAA champion (8:34.10)…10th at USA Outdoors (8:37.91)…best of 8:34.10.
- 2005: 8th at USA Outdoors (8:39.81)…9th at NCAA Outdoors (8:36.88)…best of 8:34.84.
- 2004: Best of 8:45.26.
McAdams is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served a two-year church mission in Bangkok, Thailand. McAdams currently lives in Memphis, Tennessee where he attends the Southern College of Optometry.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2009-06-28.
- Mormon Times, August 25th, 2008