|Full name||Joshua McCrone|
12 April 1987 |
Temora, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||89 kg (14 st 0 lb)|
|Position||Halfback, Five-eighth, Hooker|
Josh McCrone (born 12 April 1987) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the St. George Illawarra Dragons in the National Rugby League. He plays as a halfback, five-eighth and hooker and previously played for the Canberra Raiders.
Early and personal life
McCrone started his professional career with the Canberra Raiders but failed to break into the first-grade team in two seasons. He was signed by the Penrith Panthers in 2007, following coach Matthew Elliott from Canberra to Penrith, before returning to Canberra at the end of the 2008 season without having appeared in the NRL.
He moved to the Raiders in 2009, making his first NRL appearance in April at Halfback.
McCrone was dropped from the side at the beginning of the 2010 season, relegated to Canberra's feeder club Souths Logan. By the end of the 2010 season, he had returned as the Raiders' regular halfback, forming a combination with five-eighth Terry Campese to lead the team to a six-match winning streak, landing the Raiders in the finals before being knocked out by the Wests Tigers. McCrone re-signed with the Raiders through to the end of the 2012 season.
In the 2011 season, McCrone scored 9 tries and played five-eighth for the majority of the year due to Terry Campese being injured. As a result, the Raiders signed Matt Orford from the English Super League but used rookie Sam Williams instead for most of the year to partner McCrone in the halves.
- "Josh McCrone - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Josh McCrone - Canberra Raiders". Raiders.com.au. Canberra Raiders. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- Jancetic, Steve (18 June 2007). "Williams off to Panthers". foxsports.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Raiders sign new player deals". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 18 September 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "NRL Canberra Raiders name rookie halfback Josh McCrone for first-grade debut". foxsports.com.au. News Limited. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- Blaschke, Ben (10 September 2010). "How McCrone went from zero to hero". nrl.com. National Rugby League. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- Prichard, Greg (17 September 2010). "McCrone shows he isn't half bad after given regular run". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- Bennie, Mike (7 May 2010). "Canberra Raiders re-sign Josh McCrone through 2012 NRL season". foxsports.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "2015 VB NSW Cup Team of the Year". NSWRL. 27 September 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Dragons sign McCrone & Faifai Loa". Zero Tackle. 12 October 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2015.