Osich with the San Francisco Giants in 2016
|San Francisco Giants – No. 61|
Born: September 3, 1988|
|July 3, 2015, for the San Francisco Giants|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 22, 2018)
|Earned run average||5.01|
Joshua Michael Osich (born September 3, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his major league debut with the Giants in July 2015.
Born and raised in Boise, Idaho, Osich graduated from Bishop Kelly High School in 2007. He played college baseball at Oregon State University in Corvallis, but missed the 2010 season, recovering from Tommy John surgery. Despite the injury, he was selected by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the seventh round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. Osich did not sign and returned to Oregon State and in his final collegiate season in 2011, he threw a no-hitter against UCLA. He was then taken by the San Francisco Giants in the sixth round (207th overall) of the 2011 MLB draft and signed.
Major League career
Osich was called up to the majors for the first time on July 3, 2015, pitching one scoreless inning of relief against the Washington Nationals. On July 11, 2015, Osich earned his first major league win in his fifth relief appearance, pitching 1⁄3 of an inning against the Philadelphia Phillies. Osich didn't allow a hit until his eighth major league appearance. Osich was optioned to Triple-A Sacramento on July 22, 2015. Osich was recalled to the Giants on August 7, 2015, when pitcher Mike Leake was put on the DL. In 2015, Osich appeared in 35 games, recording a 2.20 ERA with 27 strikeouts in 282⁄3 innings pitched.
- "Bishop Kelly graduate Josh Osich makes MLB debut". Idaho Statesman. July 3, 2015.
- Churchill, Jason (January 24, 2010). "Beavers' Osich undergoes Tommy John surgery". ESPN.com.
- "MLB Draft 2010: Oregon State pitcher Josh Osich picked by Los Angeles Angels". The Oregonian. June 8, 2010.
- Schnell, Lindsay (April 30, 2011). "Oregon State's Josh Osich throws no-hitter as No. 3 Beavers beat No. 24 UCLA 2-0 on road". The Oregonian.
- Fentress, Aaron (June 7, 2011). "MLB draft: Oregon State pitcher Josh Osich selected in Round 6 by San Francisco". The Oregonian.
- Baggarly, Andrew (July 3, 2015). "Josh Osich considered quitting, Ryan Lollis never did and now both are big leaguers for Giants". San Jose Mercury News.
- Ostler, Scott (July 8, 2015). "Giants reliever Josh Osich thriving since his call-up". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Kroner, Steve (July 11, 2015). "Giants pound out 15 hits, beat Phils again". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Baggarly, Andrew (July 22, 2015). "Giants notes: Affeldt activated and Osich optioned, but a new era is rising in the bullpen". San Jose Mercury News.
- Shea, John (August 7, 2015). "Giants Splash: Mike Leake to DL — Bruce Bochy hoping for 'nine completely healthy starts'". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Kawahara, Matt (August 15, 2015). "Bochy says Giants have 'tough decisions' looming for pitching staff". The Sacramento Bee.
- Steward, Carl (August 21, 2015). "The future of Josh Osich is now, it looks like the Giants will survive this trip, more odds and ends". San Jose Mercury News.
- "Giants set 2016 Opening Day roster" (Press release). MLB.com. April 2, 2016.
- Shea, John. "Giants moves: Joe Panik called up, Josh Osich to DL". SF Gate. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Josh Osich.|