Josh Payne (darts player)
|Born||10 December 1993|
|Walk-on music||Here Comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||54|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Masters||Last 48: 2012|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 64: 2017, 2019|
|World Matchplay||Last 32: 2016|
|World Grand Prix||Last 32: 2018|
|Grand Slam||Last 16: 2018|
|UK Open||Quarter Final: 2019|
|Players Ch'ship Finals||Last 16: 2016|
|Other tournament wins|
Payne won his first title in 2013 at a PDC Challenge Tour event by beating Rowby-John Rodriguez 4–3 in the final. He also qualified for the Gibraltar Darts Trophy and beat Wayne Jones 6–2, before losing 6–1 to Dave Chisnall in the second round despite averaging 100.50.
In 2014, Payne reached the final of the first two Youth Tour events, losing to Nick Kenny and Lewis Venes respectively. He qualified for the UK Open for the first time and lost 5–4 to Andy Boulton in the second round. At the fifth Players Championship of the year Payne recorded wins over three-time world champion John Part and 2012 UK Open winner Robert Thornton to reach the last 16 of a PDC event for the first time, where he was whitewashed 6–0 by Mervyn King. He also won through to the last 16 of the World Youth Championship and lost 6–4 to Jack Twedwell. In September, Payne came from 3–0 down in the final of a Youth Tour event to beat Jake Jones 4–3 and he lost by a reverse of this scoreline in the final of the 16th event to Dean Reynolds. He finished second on the Youth Tour Order of Merit to earn a two-year PDC tour card which commenced in 2015.
At the 2015 UK Open, Payne defeated Lionel Sams 5–3, Dave Prins 5–4 and Andy Jenkins 9–6 to play in the fourth round, where Mensur Suljović beat him 9–4. Payne beat Wayne Jones, Stephen Bunting and Michael Smith at the Dutch Darts Masters to play in the quarter-finals of a PDC event for the first time, where he lost 6–4 to Justin Pipe. Payne finished as the runner-up in two Development Tour in the second half of the year, as well as being a quarter-finalist in the World Youth Championship.
Payne lost 9–5 to Ryan de Vreede in the third round of the 2016 UK Open. He took the third Development Tour event by defeating Rowby-John Rodriguez in the final. In May, Payne beat Gerwyn Price, Ronny Huybrechts, Wes Newton, Mensur Suljović and Steve Brown to play in the final of the sixth Players Championship. He then claimed the title with a 6–5 victory over James Wade, sealing it with a 116 finish with Wade waiting on 40. This win saw him qualify for the World Matchplay. On his debut in the event Payne was defeated 10–7 by Robert Thornton. Payne received an invitation to play in the World Series of Darts Finals and was ousted 6–3 by Daryl Gurney in the opening round.
Payne qualified for his first World Championship in the 2017 event through the Pro Tour Order of Merit and he won the first set versus Terry Jenkins. He went 2–1 down and missed one dart to square the match, going on instead to be beaten 3–1.
World Championship results
- "2013 PDC Challenge Tour England Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "2013 PDC Gibraltar Darts Trophy Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Youth Tour Wins For Kenny And Venes". PDC. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Coral UK Open - Friday Afternoon". PDC. 12 July 2014.
- "Dolan Wins Second Title Of The Year". PDC. 12 July 2014. Archived from the original on 13 April 2014.
- "2014 PDC Under 21 World Championship Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Youth Wins For Payne & Van Den Bergh". PDC. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "PDC Unicorn Youth Tour Latest". PDC. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Brown & Reynolds Earn Youth Wins". PDC. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Coral UK Open Fourth Round". PDC. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Four-Some Van Gerwen's Dutch Glory!". PDC. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Josh Payne 2015". Darts Database. Archived from the original on 30 November 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "2016 Coral UK Open Day One". PDC. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "2016 PDC Development Tour England Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Josh Payne wins Players Championship Six in Barnsley". Sky Sports. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "BetVictor World Matchplay Day One". PDC. Archived from the original on 28 October 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "2016 World Series Of Darts Finals Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "William Hill World Championship Day Three". PDC. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Player profile on Josh Payne from Dartsdatabase