Josh Smith (left-handed pitcher)
|Born: October 11, 1989|
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
|May 25, 2019, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||6.39|
Joshua Dwayne Smith (born October 11, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has played in MLB for the Cleveland Indians and Miami Marlins.
The Pittsburgh Pirates selected Smith in the 25th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball draft. During his time in the Pirates organization from 2012 through 2016, he played for the Gulf Coast Pirates, State College Spikes, West Virginia Power, Bradenton Marauders, Altoona Curve, and Indianapolis Indians.
The Boston Red Sox selected Smith from the Pirates in the minor league phase of the 2016 Rule 5 draft on December 8, 2016. In 2017 and 2018, he played for the Portland Sea Dogs, and the Pawtucket Red Sox.
Smith elected free agency following the 2018 season and signed a minor league contract with the Cleveland Indians on December 1, 2018. Smith began the 2019 season with the Columbus Clippers, the Indians' Triple-A affiliate. The Indians selected Smith's contract on May 25, 2019. He made his major league debut that evening against the Tampa Bay Rays, allowing no earned runs and striking out three batters in 1 2⁄3 innings. The Indians designated Smith for assignment on September 13, 2019, after he appeared in eight games, striking out 12 in 8 1⁄3 innings with a 5.40 ERA.
- "Josh Smith". Wichita State Athletics.
- "Josh D. Smith". MLB.com.
- "Josh D. Smith". SoxProspects.com.
- RotoWire Staff (November 28, 2018). "Indians' Josh Smith: Signs with Cleveland". CBS Sports. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- "Indians promote LHP Josh Smith, OF Greg Allen from Triple-A Columbus". MLB.com. May 25, 2019.
- Kyle Youmans (May 26, 2019). "Smith makes MLB debut with Indians Saturday". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Chris Haft (September 14, 2019). "Marlins get lefty reliever off waivers from Indians". MLB.com. Retrieved September 14, 2019.
- Mark Sheldon (October 16, 2019). "Reds claim LHP Smith; DFA C Graterol". MLB.com. Retrieved October 16, 2019.
- Mike Monaco (June 20, 2018). "Josh Smith Saves Win For Josh Smith". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 29, 2019.