Stewart at the 2012 New York Comic Con, October 14
|Born||Joshua Regnall Stewart
February 6, 1977
Diana, West Virginia, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Deanna Brigidi (????–2014)|
Joshua Regnall "Josh" Stewart (born February 6, 1977) is an American actor best known for his role as Holt McLaren in the FX TV series Dirt and as Detective William LaMontagne, Jr., in Criminal Minds. He was also cast as Brendan Finney in the final season of the NBC TV series Third Watch and as Barsad in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises.
Stewart was born in Diana, West Virginia, the son of Margie and Charles Regnall Stewart. His father was a high school physical education teacher as well as a former pastor of the First Baptist Church in Webster Springs and Holly River Baptist Church, and is now pastor at the Redeeming Grace Baptist Church in Webster Springs. His mother is a sixth grade teacher at Webster Springs Elementary. Stewart first attended West Virginia Wesleyan College, then transferred to West Virginia University, where he studied business. After graduating from WVU, he moved to New York to pursue acting.
Stewart got his start doing local theater at the Landmark Theatre in Sutton, West Virginia, and eventually moved to New York City to study at the T. Schreiber studios. He was a company member of the 13th Street Repertory Theatre. He continued his theater in Los Angeles, performing in Light Bulb and Beacon alongside Robert Forster and Brooke Shields.
Stewart appeared as an extra in The WB series Dawson's Creek episode "To Green, With Love". In 2003 he filmed a pilot for a Western for ABC entitled Then Came Jones. In the pilot he played the character of Bill Jenkins.
Stewart later appeared as Sean Cleary the CSI episode "Bad to the Bone", which aired on April 1, 2004. That same year, he also appeared in a commercial for Levi's 501 Original jeans. Stewart also had a recurring role in Criminal Minds as Detective William LaMontagne, Jr., SSA Jennifer "JJ" Jareau's boyfriend and later, husband.
Starring television roles
After Third Watch was cancelled, Stewart started filming a movie entitled Lenexa, 1 Mile (released on DVD as Full Count), alongside William Baldwin, Michael Beach, Jennifer Hall, Timothy Ryan Hensel, Chris Klein, Austin Nichols, Jason Ritter, Michael Rooker, and Paul Wesley. This was also the directing debut of Jason Wiles. After filming wrapped, Stewart began filming a new television series starring Courteney Cox Arquette entitled Dirt, for the FX Network, where he played the character of Holt McLaren. On June 8, 2008, Cox Arquette announced that Dirt had been cancelled. During the 2010-2011 season, he appeared as Joshua in ABC's No Ordinary Family.
Stewart made his mainstream feature film debut in 2008's Curious Case of Benjamin Button playing the character of Benjamin's crewmate, Pleasant Curtis. Also that year, he appeared in The Haunting of Molly Hartley in the role of Mary Hartley's teacher, Mr. Draper. In 2009, he had his first feature film starring role, in the horror movie The Collector, playing the part of Arkin, a man attempting to rob a house to make enough money to pay off his wife's debts to loan sharks. In 2010, he starred, alongside Jamie-Lynn Sigler in the movie Beneath the Dark, (originally titled Wake) inspired by the novel The Shining. He appeared in Christopher Nolan's final film in his Batman Saga, The Dark Knight Rises as Bane's right-hand man, Barsad. He appeared as the main protagonist in the 2012 webisodes, The Walking Dead: Cold Storage, which are based on the popular television show The Walking Dead. In 2013, Josh finished filming his directorial debut, The Hunted, in which he also stars. Stewart reunited in 2014 with Director Christopher Nolan as the voice of CASE in the sci-fi epic Interstellar. The same year Stewart was cast in the Disney film The Finest Hours.
Josh recently completed filming his directorial and writing debut, The Hunted. He co-produced the film along with The Collector producers Brett Forbes and Patrick Rizzotti. The 'found footage' film revolves around Jake (Stewart) and Stevie (Ronnie Gene Blevins) who want their own TV show. In an attempt to grab the media's attention, both Jake and Stevie head to the dense, secluded woods in West Virginia, armed with only their bows and a camera, to find the biggest guy they can. However, as the sun sets over the mountains, they soon realise they are not alone in the woods and something supernatural is hunting them instead. The film screened at TIFF and eOne Films have since picked up the North American distribution rights.
Stewart has two children with Deanna Brigidi: daughter Ryan Justine (born 2008) and son River Jacob (born 2010).
On February 27, 2012, Stewart went into cardiac arrest after contracting salmonella. His wife performed CPR for several minutes. Stewart now has an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator in his chest.
|2006||Lenexa, 1 Mile||T.J. Ketting|
|2007||The Death and Life of Bobby Z||Monk|
|2008||The Curious Case of Benjamin Button||Pleasant Curtis|
|The Haunting of Molly Hartley||Mr. Draper|
|Law Abiding Citizen||Rupert Ames|
|2010||Beneath the Dark||Paul|
|2012||The Dark Knight Rises||Barsad|
|2013||Event 15||Sergeant Oldsman|
|2016||The Finest Hours||Tchuda Southerland|
|Cold Moon||Nathan Redfield||Post-production|
|2017||Insidious: Chapter 4|
|2000||Dawson's Creek||Extra||Episode: "To Green, With Love"|
|2003||Then Came Jones||Bill Jenkins||Pilot, not picked up|
|CSI||Sean Cleary||Episode: "Bad to the Bone|
|2004–05||Third Watch||Officer Brendan Finney||Main role (season 6), 20 episodes|
|2007–08||Dirt||Holt McLaren||Main role, 20 episodes|
|2007–present||Criminal Minds||Det. William LaMontagne Jr.||Recurring role, 11 episodes|
|2008||Raising the Bar||Dan Denton||Episode: "Hang Time"|
|ER||Daniel||Episode: "Under Pressure"|
|2009||CSI: Miami||Colin Astor||Episode: "Smoke Gets in Your CSI's"|
|Southland||Vid Holmes||Episode: "Unknown Trouble"|
|The Mentalist||Harlan McAdoo||Episode: "The Scarlett Letter"|
|2010||Ghost Whisperer||Robert Wharton||Episode: "Living Nightmare"|
|2010–11||No Ordinary Family||Joshua||Recurring role, 14 episodes|
|2012||Grimm||Bill||Episode: "The Bottle Imp"|
|The Walking Dead: Cold Storage||Chase||Web series, 4 episodes|
|2016||Lewis and Clark||Reuben Field||Pre-production, television miniseries|
- "Josh Stewart: Credit Listings". TV.com. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Josh Stewart Featured Star on New FX Show Dirt". WVWC.edu. January 11, 2007. Retrieved May 27, 2009.[dead link]
- "Webster Springs Elementary School". Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Josh Stewart makes directorial debut". Daily Athenaeum. West Virginia University. June 25, 2014.
- "Webster County native returns home for directorial debut". West Virginia MetroNews. June 9, 2014.
- "Shows A-Z - Then Came Jones on ABC". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Josh Stewart Levi's 501 Original jeans TV commercial". DailyMotion.com. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- "NBC's Third Watch Adds Cara Buono and Josh Stewart as Series Regulars and Features Aidan Quinn as Guest Star in Four-Episode Arc Early in New Season". TheFutonCritic.com. NBC. August 24, 2004. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Lenexa, 1 Mile Cast and Crew Bios". MovieTome.com. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Lenexa, 1 Mile". Jason Wiles.net. Archived from the original on December 23, 2007. Retrieved January 25, 2008.
- "'Dirt': FX Cancels Courteney Cox Arquette Series". TV Series Finale.
- Barton, Steve (June 9, 2010). "IFC Midnight Nabs Chad Feehan's Wake / Beyond the Pale Next for Director". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "SXSW '10: Trailer for 'Shining' Inspired 'Wake' -". bloody-disgusting.com.
- "Marion Cotillard & Gary Oldman CLOSE UP Near InventHelp Filming Scene Dark Knight Rises". YouTube. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "First Look At Marion Cotillad As Talia al Ghul And More Images Of Hathaway As Selena Kyle". YouBentMyWookie. August 5, 2011. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Kroll, Justin (August 25, 2014). "'Dark Knight Rises' Actor Josh Stewart Joins Chris Pine in 'Finest Hours'". Variety. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
Josh Stewart, who played the villain Barsad in “The Dark Knight Rises”...
- "Dark Knight Rises, The Collector Actor Directs Horror Film, The Hunted". Shock Till You Drop.
- "Eagle Rocker Thanks LAFD Dispatcher who Helped Save Her Husband's Life". Eagle Rock, CA Patch. March 31, 2012.
- "The Secret Fluffiness of Josh Stewart ... - Me In My Place ® - beautiful women at home". Me In My Place ® - beautiful women at home.
- De Leon, Kris (February 27, 2007). "Hot List: Dirt - Josh Stewart". BuddyTV.com.
- Fernandez, Jay A. (April 30, 2008). "A Junior for Criminal Mind's J. J.". TV Guide.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Josh Stewart.|