Thole with the Toronto Blue Jays
|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 22|
October 28, 1986 |
|September 3, 2009 for the New York Mets|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||104|
New York Mets (2009-2012)
After viewing Thole in the 2009 spring training, Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen "gushed" about Thole's catcher skills. In 2009, Thole stated, "My throwing is still coming along." On August 31, 2009, Thole was called up to the major leagues. In his first major league at-bat, he singled to record his first major league hit.
After spending much of the 2010 season in Triple-A Buffalo, Thole was called up to the Mets in June. On July 20, 2010, Thole hit his first major league home run, a solo homer, off of Barry Enright in a game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field to give the Mets their first run of the game (3-1). They would lose that game 3-2. On October 1, 2010, he hit a walk-off home run off Tyler Clippard to give the Mets a 2-1 win.
Thole spent the entire season with the New York Mets as a catcher. He hit .268, drove in 40 runs and hit 3 home runs over 340 at bats.
Thole broke camp with the Mets as their starting catcher. On May 9, 2012, Thole was placed on the seven-day disabled list after suffering a concussion in a plate collision with Phillies first baseman Ty Wigginton on May 7. On June 1, 2012, Thole was reactivated and caught Johan Santana's no-hitter; becoming the first Mets catcher to participate in a no-hitter.
Toronto Blue Jays (2013–present)
On December 17, 2012, the Mets traded Thole, R.A. Dickey, and Mike Nickeas to the Toronto Blue Jays for Travis d'Arnaud, Noah Syndergaard, John Buck, and Wuilmer Becerra. On January 18, 2013, the Blue Jays announced that arbitration with Thole had been avoided by signing him to a two-year contract worth $2.5 million, with a club option for the 2015 season at $1.75 million. On March 24, Thole was reassigned to minor league camp and started the season with the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. He was recalled by the Blue Jays on June 7 when Henry Blanco was designated for assignment. Thole made his Blue Jays debut in the 16th inning of an 18 inning win against the Texas Rangers on June 8, going 0-2 at the plate. He finished the 2013 season batting just .175 with 1 home run and 8 RBI in 45 games. Thole began the 2014 season in Toronto, as R.A. Dickey's personal catcher. He improved upon his results from 2013, finishing 2014 with a batting average of .252 with 7 RBI in 56 games played. On November 1, the Blue Jays picked up Thole's $1.75 million option for the 2015 season.
After the signing of Russell Martin in the offseason, the Blue Jays entered 2015 spring training with 3 catchers on their roster. Martin began catching R.A. Dickey early in camp, and supplanted Thole as his personal catcher. On March 31, Thole was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo. On April 23, Thole was recalled to the Blue Jays when Dioner Navarro was placed on the disabled list. He was optioned back to Buffalo on June 2. On August 23, Thole was recalled from Buffalo.
- Noble, Marty (August 31, 2009). "Mets may wait a week to expand roster; Thole likely to lead callups when Minors season ends". MLB.com. Retrieved August 31, 2009.
- Rubin, Adam (August 22, 2009). "Exclusive: September calls". New York Daily News. Retrieved August 31, 2009.
- Rubin, Adam (August 31, 2009). "Thole is Colorado-bound, Beltran closer". New York Daily News. Retrieved August 31, 2009.
- Perkins, Owen (September 3, 2009). "Misch records first MLB win as Mets roll; Bats bang 16 hits, including the first two of Thole's career". MLB.com. Retrieved September 4, 2009.
- Sielski, Mike (July 22, 2010). "Thole Is Missing His First Home-Run Ball". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- Kilgore, Adam (October 2, 2010). "Washington Nationals lose to New York Mets on Josh Thole's home run in 10th". Washington Post.
- "Thole on seven-day DL with concussion". Mets.com. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- "Dickey trade to Blue Jays official". foxsports.com. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Blue Jays avoid arbitration with Happ, Bonifacio, Thole". TSN.ca. January 18, 2013. Retrieved January 18, 2013.
- Lott, John (March 24, 2013). "Blue Jays pick Henry Blanco over Josh Thole for backup catcher’s job". Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Blue Jays designate Blanco; recall Thole, LaRoche". TSN.ca. June 7, 2013. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "Josh Thole Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- Short, D.J. (November 1, 2014). "Blue Jays pick up option on Josh Thole; decline on Justin Smoak, Brandon Morrow, Dustin McGowan". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Davidi, Shi (March 31, 2015). "Blue Jays roster takes shape, minus bullpen". Sportsnet. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Catcher A.J. Jimenez promoted to Bisons". Buffalo Bisons. April 23, 2015. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Davidi, Shi (June 2, 2015). "Blue Jays to activate Navarro from disabled list". Sportsnet. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- "Blue Jays recall Josh Thole, option Matt Hague to triple-A". Sportsnet. August 23, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)