Josh Williams (soccer)
|Date of birth||April 18, 1988|
|Place of birth||Akron, Ohio, United States|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Playing position||Defender, Full back|
|2006–2009||Cleveland State Vikings|
|2015||New York City FC||5||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of July 13, 2015.
Josh Williams (born April 18, 1988) is an American professional soccer player who plays as a defender for Toronto FC in Major League Soccer.
College and amateur
Williams grew up in Copley, Ohio, and attended Copley High School, before going on to play four years of college soccer at Cleveland State University. He captained the Vikings team during his junior and senior years, and during his tenure at CSU earned many accolades, including Horizon League All-Newcomer Team his freshman year, Horizon All-League Tournament Team his junior year and DI All-Ohio and All-Horizon First Teams his senior year. He capped his career at CSU with a team-leading six goals, and finished with 12 goals and eight assists overall.
Williams was invited to train with Major League Soccer team Columbus Crew in the spring of 2010, and played in three of the Crew’s exhibition matches vs. college teams. After spending the summer in the PDL with the Internationals, Williams was signed by the Crew on September 16, 2010, fulfilling a lifelong dream - Williams attended the inaugural game of the Columbus Crew in 1996 aged 8, and has been a fan of the team ever since.
In June 2011 Williams was suspended for 10 games and fined 10% of his salary after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, methandienone metabolites, which he ingested as part of an over-the-counter supplement he purchased at a drugstore.
- "Former Soccer Star Williams Signs With the Columbus Crew". csuvikings.com. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Jeremiah Oshan. "Columbus Crew Defender Josh Williams Suspended For Using Performance Enhancing Drugs". SBNation.com. Vox Media. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "New York City FC Acquires Defender Josh Williams from Columbus Crew". nycfc.com. December 8, 2014. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "Lampard out vs. Orlando City, Josh Williams waived". Empire of Soccer. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "Toronto FC on Twitter: "News: Toronto FC has acquired defender Josh Williams off waivers. More to come. #TFCLive http://t.co/zhGUrGRqdp"". Toronto FC Twitter. Retrieved July 31, 2015.