Joshi is a surname used by brahmins in India and Nepal. The name is popularly derived from the Sanskrit word Jyotisha (Sanskrit: ज्योतिष, IAST: Jyotiṣa), referring to Vedic astrology and astronomy; in turn, Jyotisha is derived from Jyotish ("light bringer or reflect light like sun"). Joshi is a common family name in the Indian states of Uttarakhand, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Punjab. In Nepal, it is adopted by two different ethnic groups, the Kumai (Khas) Bahun and the Chatharīya (Kshatriya) Newars.
- Hari Dev Joshi : 11th, 16th and 18th Chief Minister Of Rajasthan.
- Devendra Kumar Joshi: Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy
- Murli Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician, (Bharatiya Janta Party), Chairman, Public Accounts Committee of the parliament
- Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician (Shiv Sena)
- Puran Chand Joshi: Indian communist leader
- Govinda Raj Joshi: Nepali Politician (Nepali congress)
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress)
- General B.C. Joshi: Late Chief of the Indian Army
- Sharad Anantrao Joshi: Indian agricultural activist and politician (Shetkari Sanghatana)
- C. P. Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress), former Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Govt. of India
- Alok Joshi: R&AW chief
- Banwari Lal Joshi : Previous Governor of India and social worker
Writers, educators and scholars
- S. T. Joshi : Indian-American editor, critic, and scholar; from Pune, Maharashtra.
- Anandi Gopal Joshi : First Indian Woman to be awarded a western medicine degree. Also first Hindu woman to travel to Americas. She was from Kalyan, Maharashtra.
- Aravind Joshi: Professor of Computer and Cognitive Science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Manohar Shyam Joshi: post-modern Hindi writer and Father of Indian soap operas
- Umashankar Joshi: Gujarati poet
- Shekhar Joshi: Hindi author
- Prasoon Joshi: Hindi lyricist
- Sharad Joshi: Hindi writer and satirist, Padma Shri awardee
- Chintaman Vinayak Joshi: Marathi humorist. Author of "Chimanrao" series of books
- Mahadevshastri Joshi: Marathi writer
- Ruchir Joshi, Author and filmmaker
Artists and performers
- Bhimsen Joshi, Bharat Ratna, vocalist of Hindustani classical music
- Gajananrao Joshi, violinist and vocalist Hindustani classical music
- Damayanti Joshi, Kathak dancer and guru
- Gayatri Joshi, Indian Actress
- Tulip Joshi, Indian Actress, model
- Pallavi Joshi, Indian Actress, winner of National award for the film Woh Chokri
- Dilip Joshi, Hindi and Gujarati Actor
- Manoj Joshi, Gujarati, Marathi and Hindi Actor
- Swapnil Joshi, Marathi Actor
- Sharman Joshi, Bollywood Actor
- Purbi Joshi, Indian Actress
- Nivedita Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Vinayak Joshi, Kannada Actor
- Spruha Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Chetan Joshi, flautist
- Joshi, Indian director known for his Malayalam films
- Sunil Joshi cricketer who played for India national cricket team as a left arm spinner in one day internationals and test match cricket
- Uday Joshi, Indian cricketer who played for Sussex
- Monier Monier-Williams (1923). A Sanskrit–English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. p. 353.
- James Lochtefeld (2002), "Jyotisha" in The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Vol. 1: A–M, Rosen Publishing, ISBN 0-8239-2287-1, pages 326–327
- Office of the Registrar General [India] (1968). Census of India, 1961. 8, Part 6, Issue 10. Manager of Publications. p. 33.