|Language(s)||Hindi, Marathi, Kumaoni, Nepali, Doteli, Newari|
|Variant(s)||Josi, Jyoshi, Joshee|
|See also||Bhatt, Pandit, Pathak, Pandey, Tripathi, Tiwari|
Joshi (Devanagari: जोशी) is a surname used by the Brahmins (caste) in India and Nepal. Joshi is also sometimes spelled as Jyoshi. The name is popularly derived from the Sanskrit word Jyotisha (Sanskrit: ज्योतिष, IAST: Jyotiṣa), referring to Vedic Astrology and astronomy; in turn, Jyotisha is derived from Jyotish ("light bringer or reflect light like sun"). Joshi is a common family name in the Indian states of Delhi, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Goa and Uttar Pradesh. In Nepal, it is adopted by two different ethnic groups, the Kumai (Khas) Bahun and the Chatharīya (Kshatriya) Newars.
- Alok Joshi: R&AW chief
- Banwari Lal Joshi : Previous Governor of India and social worker
- Bhanu Bhakta Joshi, Nepalese Politician
- Bhojraj Joshi, Nepalese Politician
- General B.C. Joshi: Late Chief of the Indian Army
- C. P. Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress), former Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Govt. of India
- Devendra Kumar Joshi: Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy
- Govinda Raj Joshi, Nepalese Politician (Nepali Congress) and former Minister
- Hari Dev Joshi : 11th, 16th and 18th Chief Minister Of Rajasthan.
- Hora Prasad Joshi, Nepalese politician
- Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician (Shiv Sena)
- Murli Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician, (Bharatiya Janta Party), Chairman, Public Accounts Committee of the parliament
- Nabindra Raj Joshi: Nepali Politician
- Puran Chand Joshi: Indian communist leader
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi: Indian Politician (BJP)
- Sharad Anantrao Joshi: Indian agricultural activist and politician (Shetkari Sanghatana)
Writers, educators and scholars
- Anandi Gopal Joshi : First Indian Woman to be awarded a western medicine degree. Also first Hindu woman to travel to Americas. She was from Kalyan, Maharashtra.
- Angur Baba Joshi, Nepalese scholar, First lady School Principal of Nepal
- Alok Joshi: Indian poet and essayist
- Anupam Joshi: Cybersecurity Expert and Professor and Chair of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at the University of Maryland, Baltimore Co.
- Aravind Joshi: Professor of Computer and Cognitive Science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Arun Joshi: Indian novelist
- Chintaman Vinayak Joshi: Marathi humorist. Author of "Chimanrao" series of books
- Girija Prasad Joshi, Nepalese Newari language writer
- Mahadevshastri Joshi: Marathi writer
- Mangal Raj Joshi, (1920 -2005) Nepalese royal astrologer
- Manohar Shyam Joshi: post-modern Hindi writer and Father of Indian soap operas
- Prasoon Joshi: Hindi lyricist
- Ramlal Joshi, Nepalese author and writer
- Ruchir Joshi, Author and filmmaker
- S. T. Joshi : Indian-American editor, critic, and scholar; from Pune, Maharashtra.
- Satya Mohan Joshi, Nepalese author and writer, first recipient of Madan Puraskar
- Sharad Joshi: Hindi writer and satirist, Padma Shri awardee
- Shekhar Joshi: Hindi author
- Shukraraj Shastri, (born: Shukra Raj Joshi), Nepalese author, social reformer and political martyr
- Suresh Joshi: Gujarati poet, writer and literary critic
- Sushma Joshi, Nepalese writer and filmmaker
- Umashankar Joshi: Gujarati poet
Artists and performers
- Ayushman Deshraj Shrestha Joshi, (born: 1992) Nepalese actor
- Bhimsen Joshi, Bharat Ratna, vocalist of Hindustani classical music
- Chetan Joshi, flautist
- Damayanti Joshi, Kathak dancer and guru
- Dilip Joshi, Hindi and Gujarati Actor
- Gajananrao Joshi, violinist and vocalist Hindustani classical music
- Gayatri Joshi, Indian Actress
- Indira Joshi, Nepali singer and model
- Malina Joshi, Nepali beauty pageant and model
- Manoj Joshi, Gujarati, Marathi and Hindi Actor
- Mansi Joshi, Artist
- Nivedita Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Pallavi Joshi, Indian Actress, winner of National award for the film Woh Chokri
- Purbi Joshi, Indian Actress
- Sharman Joshi, Bollywood Actor
- Shivangi Joshi,Indian television actress.
- Spruha Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Swwapnil Joshi, Marathi Actor
- Tulip Joshi, Indian Actress, model
- V Joshi, (AKA Joshiy) Indian director known for his Malayalam films
- Vinayak Joshi, Kannada Actor
- Naresh Joshi, Nepalese footballer
- Sunil Joshi, cricketer who played for India national cricket team as a left arm spinner in one day internationals and test match cricket
- Sunil Lal Joshi, Nepali Olympic weightlifter
- Uday Joshi, Indian cricketer who played for Sussex
- Monier Monier-Williams (1923). A Sanskrit–English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. p. 353.
- James Lochtefeld (2002), "Jyotisha" in The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Vol. 1: A–M, Rosen Publishing, ISBN 0-8239-2287-1, pages 326–327
- Office of the Registrar General [India] (1968). Census of India, 1961. 8, Part 6, Issue 10. Manager of Publications. p. 33.