Joshi is a surname of Brahmins in India and Nepal. The name is popularly derived from the Sanskrit word Jyotsyar or Jyotishi. Joshi is a common family name in the Indian states of Uttarakhand, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Punjab, Konkan,& Goa. In Nepal, it is adopted by two different Ethnic Groups, the Kumai (Kumauni) Bahun & the Newa people.
In the Marathi populated Deccan(Chittpawan Brahmans), the last name Joshi is pronounced as ज़ोशी (dental J, closer to Z) as opposed to जोशी in rest of India and Nepal. In old Konkani language, it is joyshi, but now commonly Joshi.
- Hari Dev Joshi : 11th, 16th and 18th Chief Minister Of Rajasthan.
- Devendra Kumar Joshi: Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy
- Murli Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician, (Bharatiya Janta Party), currently Chairman, Public Accounts Committee of the parliament
- Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician (Shiv Sena)
- Puran Chand Joshi: Indian communist leader
- Govinda Raj Joshi: Nepali Politician (Nepali congress)
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress)
- General B.C. Joshi: Late Chief of the Indian Army
- Sharad Anantrao Joshi: Indian agricultural activist and politician (Shetkari Sanghatana)
- C. P. Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress), currently Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Govt. of India
- Alok Joshi: R&AW chief
- Banwari Lal Joshi : Previous Governor of India and social worker
Writers, educators and scholars
- S. T. Joshi : Prominent Indian-American editor, critic, and scholar; from Pune, Maharashtra.
- Anandi Gopal Joshi : First Indian Woman to award western medicine degree. Also first Hindu woman to travel to Americas. She was from Kalyan, Maharashtra.
- Aravind Joshi: Professor of Computer and Cognitive Science at the University of Pennsylvania. He is from Pune, Maharashtra.
- Manohar Shyam Joshi: post-modern Hindi writer and Father of Indian soap operas
- Umashankar Joshi: Gujarati poet
- Shekhar Joshi: Hindi author
- Prasoon Joshi: Hindi lyricist
- Sharad Joshi: Hindi writer and satirist, Padma Shri awardee
- Chintaman Vinayak Joshi: Marathi humorist. Author of "Chimanrao" series of books
- Mahadevshastri Joshi: Marathi writer
- Ruchir Joshi, Hindi author and filmmaker
Artists and performers
- Bhimsen Joshi, Bharat Ratna, vocalist of Hindustani classical music
- Gajananrao Joshi, violinist and vocalist Hindustani classical music
- Damayanti Joshi, Kathak dancer and guru
- Gayatri Joshi, Indian Actress
- Tulip Joshi, Indian Actress, model
- Pallavi Joshi, Indian Actress, winner of National award for the film Woh Chokri
- Dilip Joshi, Hindi and Gujarati Actor
- Manoj Joshi, Gujarati, Marathi and Hindi Actor
- Swapnil Joshi, Marathi Actor
- Sharman Joshi, Bollywood Actor
- Purbi Joshi, Indian Actress
- Nivedita Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Vinayak Joshi, Kannada Actor
- Spruha Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Chetan Joshi, flautist
- Sunil Joshi cricketer who played for India national cricket team as a left arm spinner in one day internationals and test match cricket
- Uday Joshi, Indian cricketer who played for Sussex
- Office of the Registrar General [India] (1968). Census of India, 1961. 8, Part 6, Issue 10. Manager of Publications. p. 33.