From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7 April 1792|
Newcastle upon Tyne
|Died||21 January 1867(aged 74)|
He was a Member of the Natural History Society of Northumberland and Durham.
- Alder J. (1838). "Supplement to a catalogue of the land and fresh-water testaceous Mollusca, found in the vicinity of Newcastle". Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland and Durham 1(3): 337-342. Newcastle.
- Alder J. (1841). "Observations on the genus Polycera of Cuvier, with descriptions of two new British species". Annals and Magazine of Natural History. 6: 337–342.
- Alder J. & Hancock A. (1845-1855). A monograph of the British nudibranchiate Mollusca: with figures of all the species. The Ray Society, London. Published in 8 parts:
- Alder J. & Hancock A. (October 1851). "Descriptions of two new species of nudibranchiate Mollusca, one of them forming the type of a new genus". Annals and Magazine of Natural History (series 2)8(46): 290-302, pls. 9-10.
- Alder, Joshua, Embleton, Dennis, Hancock, Albany, Hopkinson, John,Norman, Alfred Merle, 1905-12 The British Tunicata; an unfinished monograph, by the late Joshua Alder and the late Albany Hancock. Edited by John Hopkinson, with a history of the work by the Rev. A. M. Norman.London,Printed for the Ray society.
Names or synonyms of tunicates described by Joshua Alder include:
- Dicoryne conferta (Alder, 1856)
- Eudendrium capillare Alder, 1856
- Hydractinia areolata Alder, 1862
- Corymorpha nana Alder, 1857
- Campanularia hincksii Alder, 1856
- Laomedea flexuosa Alder, 1857
- Laomedea neglecta Alder, 1856
- Halecium nanum Alder, 1859
Taxa of gastropods described by Joshua Alder include:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joshua Alder and Albany Hancock British Tunicata.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alder and Hancock British Nudibranchiata.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1885–1900 Dictionary of National Biography's article about Joshua Alder.|
- Works by or about Joshua Alder at Internet Archive
- Joshua Alder at the Natural History Society of Northumbria
- (Japanese) Joshua Alder (1792-1867) & Albany Hancock (1806-1873) Bibliography
- Works by Joshua Alder at AnimalBase  digitized literature (includes A monograph of the British nudibranchiate, A catalogue of the land and fresh-water testaceous Mollusca found in the vicinity of Newcastle upon Tyne, with remarks, Notes on the land and fresh water Mollusca of Great Britain, with a revised list of species, Supplement to a catalogue of the land and fresh-water testaceous Mollusca, found in the vicinity of Newcastle, A catalogue of the Mollusca of Northumberland and Durham).