|Born||New Haven, Connecticut|
Joshua Beckman was born in New Haven, Connecticut., and graduated from Hampshire College. He is the author of eight collections of poetry, including The Inside of an Apple (which was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Award), Take It, Shake, and Things Are Happening, which won the first annual Honickman-APR book award. He has collaborated with Matthew Rohrer on live improvised poems, collected in the book Nice Hat. Thanks and the audio CD Adventures While Preaching The Gospel of Beauty (which was recorded while on a twenty-five city tour). As part of their collaboration Beckman and Rohrer also performed an improvised walking tour of the Brooklyn Museum and a class on eavesdropping for the Museum of Modern Art. He is an editor at Wave Books and has translated numerous works of poetry and prose, including Poker by Tomaž Šalamun, which was a finalist for the PEN America Poetry in Translation Award, as well as multiple co-translations with Alejandro de Acosta.
He is also the recipient of numerous other awards, including a NYFA fellowship and a Pushcart Prize. He lives in Seattle and New York. A graduate of Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, Beckman was the editor of the short-lived literary magazine, Object Lesson, which served as inspiration for subsequent literary and artistic publishing ventures.
Wave Books Poetry Bus Tour 2006
Joshua Beckman was the tour coordinator of the Poetry Bus Tour, a literary event sponsored by Wave Books in 2006. It featured a tour of contemporary poets, traveling by a forty-foot Biodiesel bus, who stopped to perform in fifty North American cities over the course of fifty days.
- The Inside of an Apple. Wave Books. 3 September 2013. ISBN 978-1-933517-78-0.
- Micrograms (Wave Books, 2011; co-translated with Alejandro de Acosta)
- 5 Meters of Poems by Carlos Oquendo de Amat (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2010; co-translated with Alejandro de Acosta)
- Take It, Wave Books, 2009, ISBN 9781933517377
- Shake. Wave Books. 1 April 2006. ISBN 978-1-933517-00-1.
- Your Time Has Come, Verse Press, 2004, ISBN 9780972348751
- Poker by Tomaž Šalamun (translated by Joshua Beckman) (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2004)
- Nice Hat. Thanks. Verse Press, 2002, ISBN 9780972348706; (with Matthew Rohrer)
- Something I Expected To Be Different, Verse Press, 2001, ISBN 9780970367242
- Things Are Happening Copper Canyon Press, 1998, ISBN 9780966339512
- Adventures While Preaching the Gospel of Beauty (2003) - with Matthew Rohrer
- Poets.org - Poetry, Poems, Bios & More - Joshua Beckman
- Poetry Bus Tour » Joshua Beckman
- "The Wave Books Poetry Bus Tour featuring Mary Ruefle (and 200 other poets)", Believer, September 2006.
- Wave Books Poetry Bus Tour 2006