|Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Appointed by||Jerry Brown|
|Preceded by||Kathryn Werdegar|
Joshua Paul Groban
August 15, 1973
|Alma mater||Stanford University (B.A.)|
Harvard Law School (J.D.)
Joshua Paul Groban (born August 15, 1973) is an American attorney and Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California. He was appointed to the California Supreme Court by Governor Jerry Brown on November 14, 2018, to replace Associate Justice Kathryn Werdegar, who retired on August 31, 2017. Groban was confirmed on December 21, and was sworn into office on January 3, 2019. He joined the court when it reconvened on January 8.
Education and law career
Groban was raised in Del Mar and graduated from Torrey Pines High School. His father is a physician at University of California, San Diego hospital, and his mother, Deborah Isackson Groban, served as a member of Del Mar City Council. Groban attended Stanford University, obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1995, and Harvard Law School, obtaining a Juris Doctor degree in 1998.
Groban began his legal career serving as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge William C. Conner in the Southern District of New York from 1998 to 1999. He was in private practice at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison from 1999 to 2005, and at Munger, Tolles & Olson from 2005 to 2010.
Groban served as counsel to Brown's campaign for California governor in the 2010 California gubernatorial election. Upon Brown's election, he served in the administration overseeing state judicial appointments and advising on litigation and policy. He was Brown's fourth appointment to the seven-member Supreme Court. Groban teaches State Appellate Practice at the UCLA School of Law.
- Koseff, Alexei (November 14, 2018). "Jerry Brown picks a new California Supreme Court justice". The Sacramento Bee. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "Justice Kathryn Mickle Werdegar Announces Retirement from State Supreme Court". Judiciary of California. March 8, 2017.
- Egelko, Bob (December 21, 2018). "Joshua Groban, governor's senior legal adviser, approved for California Supreme Court". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 21, 2019.
- Dinzeo, Maria (December 21, 2018). "Brown Adviser Groban Confirmed to California High Court". The Courthouse News Service. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Bell, Diane (January 7, 2019). "Column: Josh Groban joins the Supremes — not the Groban who sings, however". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved April 21, 2019.
- "Faculty Profiles: Joshua Groban". UCLA Law. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- "Commission on Judicial Appointments to Consider Appointment of Mr. Joshua Groban to the Supreme Court of California". California Courts Newsroom. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- Morain, Dan (November 18, 2018). "With Supreme Court pick, Brown and Dems eye another kind of majority". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved April 21, 2019.
- "Brown Swears in Fourth Justice to California Supreme Court". NBC Bay Area. January 3, 2019. Retrieved April 21, 2019.
- Cantil-Sakauye, Tani G.; Becerra, Xavier; Kline, J. Anthony. "Commission on Judicial Nominee Evaluations Letter Report to the Commission on Judicial Appointments on the Nomination of Joshua Paul Groban to the Office of Associate Justice, California Supreme Court" (PDF). Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
| Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California