Perry in 2016
|No. 53, 49, 46|
|Born:||April 26, 1994|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Olentangy (Lewis Center, Ohio)|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 4 / Pick: 102|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Perry attended Olentangy High School in Lewis Center, Ohio. He was rated by Rivals.com as a four-star recruit and was ranked among the top outside linebackers in his class. He committed to Ohio State University to play college football.
Perry played in 10 games as a true freshman at Ohio State in 2012 and had five tackles. As a sophomore in 2013, he played in all 13 games and made 10 starts. For the season, he had 64 tackles and one sack, which was a safety. As a junior, Perry played in all 15 games and started 14, leading the team in tackles with 124. He also had three sacks. During the 2015 College Football Playoff National Championship, he recorded six tackles.
Coming out of Ohio State, Perry was projected by the majority of analysts to be a second to fourth round draft selection. He was rated the seventh best outside linebacker out of the 203 available by NFLDraftScout.com. Perry received positive reviews from scouts and analysts for his leadership, strength, productive tackling, conditioning, instincts, and anticipation. He was thought to be a limited playmaker who loses focus during blocks, with minimal man to man coverage skills, and below average sideline to sideline chase ability.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in
|33 1⁄4 in
|10 1⁄4 in
|4.68 s||1.64 s||2.72 s||4.35 s||7.21 s||33 1⁄2 in
|10 ft 4 in
|All values from NFL Combine/Ohio State's Pro Day|
San Diego / Los Angeles Chargers
Perry was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round (102nd overall) in the 2016 NFL Draft. On May 9, 2016, the Chargers signed Perry to a four-year, $2.95 million contract with a signing bonus of $614,084. Perry entered training camp competing with Nick Dzubnar to be the backup right inside linebacker. Perry was named the third right inside linebacker behind veteran Denzel Perryman and Dzubnar to begin the regular season.
Perry made his professional regular season debut in the Chargers' season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs. The following week, Perry made his first career solo tackle in a 38–14 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. On October 2, 2016, he recorded three solo tackles in the Chargers' 35–34 loss to the New Orleans Saints. On January 1, 2017, Perry received his first career start against the Kansas City Chiefs and recorded a season-high six combined tackles in a 37-27 loss. He finished his rookie season with a total of 22 combined tackles in 15 games and one start.
On September 2, 2017, Perry was waived/injured by the Chargers and placed on injured reserve. He was released on September 9, 2017.
On September 18, 2017, Perry was signed to the Indianapolis Colts' practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on October 27, 2017. He was waived by the Colts on November 14, 2017 and was re-signed to the practice squad the next day. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Colts on January 1, 2018. He was waived on May 11, 2018.
On July 30, 2018, Perry announced his retirement from the NFL due to concerns about concussions.
- High-school football: Versatile Perry someone offenses want to avoid
- A shift in Ohio State's linebacker alignment: Joshua Perry in Ryan Shazier's spot and explaining the walkout LB
- Ohio State football: Looking back at Joshua Perry Archived June 20, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- The top 50 Big Ten football players for 2015: No. 35, Joshua Perry, Ohio State linebacker
- "Joshua Perry, DS #7 OLB, Ohio State: 2016 NFL Draft". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles – Joshua Perry". nfl.com. Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- Henne, Ricky (April 30, 2016). "Chargers Kick Off Day Three By Selecting Ohio State LB Joshua Perry". Chargers.com. Archived from the original on July 18, 2017. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Joshua Perry contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- "Ourlads.com: San Diego Charger's Depth Chart: 08/29/2016". ourlads.com. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- "NFL Player Profile: Joshua Perry". NFL.com. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- Henne, Ricky (September 2, 2017). "Los Angeles Chargers Cut Down Roster to 53". Chargers.com. Archived from the original on January 17, 2018.
- "Roster Move: Colts Re-Sign WR Matt Hazel; Add To Practice Squad". Colts.com. September 18, 2017.
- "Roster Moves: Colts Elevate OLB Josh Perry To Active Roster". Colts.com. October 27, 2017.
- "Colts Activate Safety Clayton Geathers From PUP". Colts.com. November 14, 2017.
- "Roster Moves: Colts Claim LB Jermaine Grace". Colts.com. November 15, 2017.
- "Colts Sign Eight Players To Reserve/Future Contracts". Colts.com. January 1, 2018. Archived from the original on January 4, 2018.
- "ROSTER MOVE: Colts Claim DE-Rakeem Nunez-Roches Off Waivers". Colts.com. May 11, 2018. Archived from the original on May 12, 2018.
- Boyle, John (June 11, 2018). "Seahawks Sign Linebacker Joshua Perry". Seahawks.com.
- Gantt, Darin (July 30, 2018). "Seahawks linebacker Joshua Perry retires". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.