Josiah Hayden Drummond
|Josiah Hayden Drummond|
|16th Attorney General of Maine|
|Governor||Israel Washburn, Jr.|
|Preceded by||G.W. Ingersoll|
|Succeeded by||John A. Peter|
|Born||August 20, 1827|
|Died||October 25, 1902(aged 75)|
|Spouse(s)||Cynthia (Blackwell) Drummond|
|Alma mater||Colby College|
J.H. Drummond was born to Clark and Cynthia (Blackwell) Drummond in Winslow, Maine. He attended Vassalboro Academy and graduated from Colby College in 1846. He married Elzada Rollins (Bean). on December 10, 1850, and had three daughters and one son.
He was a Maine State Representative from Waterville in 1857 - 1858, and Speaker of the Maine House of Representatives in 1858. He was a State Senator in 1859, and resigned his seat to accept the position of Maine Attorney General, which he held from 1860 - 1863. He was again a Maine State Congressman and Speaker of the House in 1868.
He held numerous positions as a Freemason: Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Maine from 1860-1862; in the Scottish Rite, Northern Jurisdiction, he was a Lieutenant Grand Commander from 1862 - 1863 and Sovereign Grand Commander from 1867-1878; and General Grand Master of the General Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters from 1880-1882.
He was the Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Colby College from 1890-1902.
With his son he formed Drummond & Drummond law firm in 1881 which continues to the present day in downtown Portland, Maine as one of the oldest firms in the state.
- Drummond, Josiah Hayden (1902). The two James Rogers: James Rogers of Londonderry and James Rogers of Dunbarton: a genealogical research. OCLC 9860887.
- Drummond, Josiah Hayden (1903). Joshua Bean, of Exeter, Brentwood and Gilmanton, N. H., and some of his descendants. OCLC 3318839.
- Drummond, Josiah Hayden (1903). The John Rogers families in Plymouth and vicinity. OCLC 9860917.
- Biography of Josiah H. Drummond. REPRESENTATIVE MEN OF MAINE, A Collection of Biographical Sketches. by Henry Chase, The Lakeside Press, Publisher, 1893; accessed at http://www.onlinebiographies.info/me/rmm/drummond-jh.htm
- Little Talks #725, April 9, 1967. Colby College Special Collections, accessed at http://web.colby.edu/specialcollections/2011/01/17/lt725-readonly/
- 1827-1902; Josiah Hayden Drummond; Most Worshipful, Drummond, Josiah H 1. NY - Biographical Sketches, Masonic Digital Archives, http://cdm16287.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/Biography/id/333
|Maine Attorney General
John A. Peters