|Full name||Josué Isaac Martinez Areas|
|Date of birth||25 March 1990|
|Place of birth||San José, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|2013||New York Red Bulls||1||(0)|
|2014||Santos de Guápiles||13||(1)|
|2009||Costa Rica U20||7||(5)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Martinez began his career with top Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa. His first appearance with the club was in the 2009 Torneo de Invierno, this coming after a successful role in the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Martinez won one title with the club during the 2009–10 Costa Rican Primera División season the Campeonato de Verano 2010. Josué was an important part of The Purple Monster, being one of its top goalscorers in that tournament also scoring the 1-0 winning goal against Liga Deportiva Alajuelense in the first of two matches of "El Clásico" de Costa Rica, at Ricardo Saprissa Stadium in San José. He wore the number 28 for Saprissa and scored 19 goals in 66 league matches with the club. Martinez also scored an important goal during the CONCACAF Champions League which sent Saprissa to the 2010-11 knockout stage. On October 19, 2010 in a match that was played in Seattle, Martinez's scored an 89th-minute goal beating Seattle Sounders goalkeeper, Kasey Keller which helped Saprissa to a 2-1 victory.
On 7 December 2011, Philadelphia Union signed the Costa Rican international. In his first season in Major League Soccer Martinez appeared in 18 league matches and scored 1 goal. On 6 December 2012, Martinez was traded to New York Red Bulls along with allocation money for Sebastien Le Toux.
Martínez was waived by New York on March 29, 2013.
Martinez is considered a promising prospect for Costa Rican football and its National Team, he debuted with the full national team in 2009 prior to his debut with the Saprissa first team. He was a member of Costa Rica's 2011 Copa América side, netting 1 goal in 3 matches during the competition.
- Scores and results list. Costa Rica's goal tally first.
|1||12 October 2010||Estadio Carlos Ugalde, San Carlos, Costa Rica||El Salvador||2 - 1||2 - 1||Friendly|
|2||7 July 2011||Estadio 23 de Agosto, Jujuy, Argentina||Bolivia||1 - 0||2 - 0||2011 Copa América|
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Costa Rica||League||Cup||League Cup||North America||Total|
|USA||League||Open Cup||League Cup||North America||Total|
|2012||Philadelphia Union||Major League Soccer||18||1||2||1||0||0||0||0||20||2|
|2013||New York Red Bulls||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
Updated March 29, 2013.
Statistics accurate as of 7 December 2011
- "Costa Rica - J. Martínez - Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Union's new signing Martinez has something to prove". MLSsoccer.com. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Red Bulls Acquire Josue Martinez and Allocation Money from Union". New York Red Bulls. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Three months and out: New York Red Bulls waive forward Josue Martinez - MLSSoccer
- Josué Martínez – FIFA competition record
- Josué Martínez at National-Football-Teams.com