Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World
The Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World is an interdisciplinary center for research and teaching of archaeology, particularly archaeology and art of the ancient Mediterranean, Egypt, and Western Asia, at Brown University.
The Joukowsky Institute was established in 2004, with a gift from Artemis Joukowsky, a former Chancellor of Brown University and Martha Sharp Joukowsky, a former associate professor of Anthropology at Brown. A new director, Susan E. Alcock, took up her appointment in 2006. Peter van Dommelen succeeded Alcock, becoming Director of the Institute in July 2015.
The Institute has continued and expanded the activities of Brown’s former Center for Old World Archaeology and Art (COWAA). COWAA was founded in 1978 by R. Ross Holloway, professor of classics, Rudolf Winkes, historian of ancient Roman art, and Martha Sharp Joukowsky.
- List of directors
- Archaeology of College Hill, Providence, RI
- Brown University Abydos Project, Egypt
- Brown University Labraunda Project, Turkey
- Brown University Petra Archaeological Project, Jordan
- Budsilha-Chocolja Archaeological Project, Chiapas, Mexico
- MonArch: Wesleyan-Brown Monastic Archaeology Project, Soissons, France
- Notion Archaeological Survey, Turkey
- The S'Urachi Project: Cultural Encounters and Everyday Life around a Nuraghe in Classical and Hellenistic Times, Sardinia, Italy
- Survey and Landscape Archaeology on Montserrat, West Indies
- Uronarti Regional Archaeology Project, Sudan
The Joukowsky Institute's publication series, Joukowsky Institute Publications (JIP), operates under the general editorship of Professor John F. Cherry. JIP I, Koine: Mediterranean Studies in Honor of R. Ross Holloway, was published by Oxbow Books in December 2009.
The Institute’s predecessor, the Center for Old World Archaeology and Art, published the series, “Archaeologia Transatlantica”, which has now ceased production.
- Outline of archaeology
- Graduate Group in the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World at the University of Pennsylvania
- Brown Portrait Collection biography of Artemis A.W. Joukowsky
- Alcock to oversee expansion of interdisciplinary archaeology institute, by Sara Walter, Brown Daily Herald, February 9, 2006
- "COWAA" in Encyclopedia Brunoniana
- Rhode Island Hall earned Brown its first gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. Today at Brown
- Building Brown
- Joukowsky Institute Publications are distributed by Oxbow Books and Casemate Academic (formerly the David Brown Book Company)
- Reviewed by Catalin Pavel in Bryn Mawr Classical Review, June 8, 2010
- Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World
- Playing in the Sand by Eti Bonn-Muller, Archaeology Magazine, May 6, 2010
- The endangered future of the past by Christopher Witmore and Omur Harmansah, The New York Times, December 21, 2007
- Thinking of Graduate School in Classical Archaeology?, prepared by Jennifer Gates-Foster and Tim Moore, Department of Classics, The University of Texas at Austin