Dunn backstage at Anna Sui.
3 August 1990 |
|Height||6 ft 0. in (1.83 m)|
|Measurements||32-23-34 (US); 81-59-86 (EU)|
|Dress size||2 (US), 6 (UK), 34 (EU)|
|Shoe size||10 (US), 40 (EU)|
|Manager||Storm Model Management|
Jourdan Dunn (born 3 August 1990) is a British fashion model. She was discovered in Hammersmith Primark in 2006 and signed to Storm Model Management in London shortly thereafter. In 2008, she was the first black model to walk a Prada runway in over a decade. She has attracted attention because of the paucity of black models in the fashion modelling industry.
Early Life and Discovery
Jourdan Dunn was born and raised in the West London suburb of Greenford, with her mother, a receptionist and two younger brothers. She admitted to being self-conscious as a teenager, due to her height and weight. She stated growing up, people would often tell her she should become a model, but was apprehensive as she wasn't really sure what a model did. She commented that shows like America's Next Top Model intrigued her on the industry, as it gave her a new perspective of the job.
At the age of 16, Dunn made her runway debut in the New York shows in the fall of 2007, walking in shows for Marc Jacobs and Polo Ralph Lauren, among others. Soon after, she quickly rose to prominence within the industry. In 2007, she was featured on British Vogue as a "new star,", and in 2008 Style.com listed her as one of the top 10 newcomers. She also walked 75 shows during the spring/summer 2008 season, including Louis Vuitton and Valentino.
In July 2008, Steven Meisel selected Dunn to appear on the cover of the Vogue Italia issue devoted entirely to black models. She has also been featured on the cover of American Vogue, British Vogue and Teen Vogue, as well as covering i-D- seven times, Elle, Pop, Russh, Muse, The Sunday Times Style, Ponystep, Antidote and Luella. In November 2008, Dunn was named "Model of the Year" at the British Fashion Awards. She has garnered attention for her legs and for her walk which she says she practises frequently with very tall heels, walking over 60 shows during the spring 2009 season.
She has modelled for Burberry, Calvin Klein, Yves Saint Laurent, DKNY, John Galliano, Victoria's Secret, Tommy Hilfiger, Topshop, Jaeger, Rag & Bone, Gap, Aldo, Shiatzy Chen, Benetton, H&M, Banana Republic, Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue, and is the face of Rihanna's collections for River Island.
She has appeared in editorials for American, Italian, French, British, Russian, Spanish, Japanese and Teen Vogue, Elle, i-D, Dazed & Confused, W, Pop, Centrefold and V. In Teen Vogue's November 2009 issue on which she appears alongside Chanel Iman, she discusses her and Chanel's previous competitive relationship in the accompanying article, as well as the challenges they face being black models in the fashion world. The issue sparked controversy as Dunn; who was 18 at the time, announced her pregnancy. Teen Vogue faced backlash from the media, who accused them of glorifying teenage pregnancy.
She continued to model until she was six months pregnant and couldn't fit into any of the clothes- notably walking the catwalk for the Spring 2010 Jean Paul Gaultier show, with a baby bump. At the age of 19, ten weeks after giving birth, Dunn returned to the runway at London Fashion Week for the Winter 2010 season. For returning to work so quickly, she said her motivation was her son:
"More than anything, having a son has made me realise I have to make shit work: I'm his voice, I'm his lifeline, I have to be driven. I think he pushed me in the right direction. I've always been ambitious, but now I have more focus. I'm more hardworking."
During the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony, Dunn was one of the British models wearing bespoke fashions created by British designers specifically for the event. The other models were Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, David Gandy, Karen Elson, Lily Cole, Georgia May Jagger and Stella Tennant. She wore a gold and white gown by Jonathan Saunders with feathered headdress by Stephen Jones. She also made her Victoria's Secret Fashion Show debut for the 2012 show.
In March 2013, Dunn appeared as the cover story in Net-a-Porter's "The Edit." In it she spoke of encountering discrimination telling the magazine that casting agents would say clients “didn't want any more black girls”. In July, 2013, she received media attention for tweeting that she had been cancelled from a Dior haute couture show, "for her boobs"; rather than her skin colour - which she noted, "usually happens".
In November 2013, she won "Model of the Year" at the Harper's Bazaar Women Of The Year Awards.
She is currently ranked 28th on the Top 50 Models Women list by models.com.
Media and Appearances
Dunn currently hosts a cooking show entitled, "Well Dunn", on Jay Z's Life+Times YouTube channel. The web show has featured celebrity guest co-chefs, such as Wale, Karlie Kloss, Cara Delevingne, Joan Smalls, Chanel Iman and 2 Chainz among others. 
She has one child, Riley, a boy, born 8 December 2009 in London. She had been with her boyfriend, the baby's father, for five years  before he was arrested for dealing cocaine two months after her son was born. Riley has been diagnosed with Sickle-cell disease.
Jourdan devides her time between her homes in London and New York City. She's friends with fellow models, Joan Smalls, Chanel Iman, Anais Mali, Cara Delevingne and Karlie Kloss, who is godmother to her son Riley.
- "Profile Jourdan Dunn on twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- "Jourdan Dunn". New York. Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Marrin, Minette (11 March 2008). "Jourdan Dunn is the colour of money". The Sunday Times (London). Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- "Jourdan Dunn". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Jones, Dolly (14 September 2007). "A New Star from Storm". Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- "Jourdan model of the year". The Scotsman (Edinburgh). 27 November 2008. Retrieved 5 January 2009.
- "Catching Up with Jourdan Dunn". Teen Vogue. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Bumpus, Jessica (6 October 2008). "The New Vogue". Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Keltner, Jane. "Double Whammy". teenvogue.com. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
- British Fashions | London Olympics Closing Ceremony
- Olympic Closing Ceremony | Fashion Shoot
- Cover Story | Jourdan Dunn: Thy Will be Dunn
- Busis, Hillary (24 December 2013). "Beyonce gets down with grills and girls in new 'Yonce' video -- WATCH". http://music-mix.ew.com/. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Moss, Hilary (26 February 2010). "Jourdan Dunn's Baby's Father Arrested For Dealing Cocaine: Report". Huffington Post.
- Moss, Hilary (28 March 2011). "Jourdan Dunn Opens Up About Son's Illness, Being A Single Mother". Huffington Post.
- Style.com Photos of Jourdan Dunn
- Harper's Bazaar interview with Jourdan Dunn
- Jourdan Dunn at the Fashion Model Directory