Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics
|Discipline||Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Aesthetics, Art History, Literary Criticism|
|Edited by||Various, previously Ananta Charan Sukla|
Vishvanatha Kaviraja Institute of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics (India)
|ISO 4||J. Comp. Lit. Aesthet.|
The Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics (also known as JCLA) is a quarterly peer-reviewed journal published from India in the field of literature, philosophy, religion, and art history. The journal, published by Vishvanatha Kaviraja Institute of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics since 1977 as its official organ, addresses interdisciplinary and cross-cultural issues in literary understanding and interpretation, aesthetic theories, conceptual analysis of art, literature, philosophy, religion, mythology, history of ideas, literary theory, history, and criticism. It publishes essays and book reviews ranging across the literary and philosophical traditions of the East and the West. The Institute, which publishes the journal and also academic books, was founded on 22 August 1977 coinciding with the birth centenary of legendary philosopher, aesthetician, and historian of Indian art, Ananda K. Coomaraswamy (1877-1947). Both the Institute and the journal were founded by Late Ananta Charan Sukla (1942-2020), a former professor of English and Comparative Literature at Sambalpur University, India. It is the oldest journal of India in the field of literature and philosophy which is still active, sans any institutional support.
The journal has published articles by renowned scholars like Rene Wellek, Harold Osborne, John Hospers, John Fisher, Murray Krieger, Martin Bocco, Remo Ceserani, J.B. Vickery, Menachem Brinker, Milton Snoeyenbos, Mary Wiseman, Ronald Roblin, T.R. Martland, S.C. Sengupta, K.R.S. Iyengar, V.K. Chari, Charles Altieri, Peter Lamarque, Martin Jay, Jonathan Culler, Richard Shusterman, Robert Kraut, Terry Diffey, T.R. Quigley, R.B. Palmer, David Fenner, Keith Keating and G. L. Hagberg. Rene Wellek, Harold Osborne, Mircea Eliade, Monroe Beardsley, John Hospers, John Fisher, Meyer Abrams and John Boulton have served on the Editorial Board of the Journal.
The journal is indexed and abstracted in the MLA International Bibliography, Master List of Periodicals (USA), Ulrich's Directory of Periodicals, Publons, The Philosopher's Index, WorldCat Directory, The York Research Database, ERIH PLUS, CrossRef, JSTOR, EBSCOhost, ProQuest, HathiTrust, UGC InflibNet, ACLA, and Gale (Cengage Learning), United States Library of Congress, and the British Library. The journal is also indexed in numerous university (central) libraries, state and public libraries, and scholarly organizations/ learned societies databases.
- "JCLA - editorial board". jcla.in. JCLA. Retrieved 2021-04-19.
- Altieri, Charles (1989). Painterly Abstraction in Modernist American Poetry: The Contemporaneity of Modernism. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521330855.
- "Prof Mohapatra now JCLA Editor". The Pioneer. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics". JCLA. Archived from the original on 2019-04-14.
- "About the Journal". Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics. 42 (1): 1. 2019. ISSN 0252-8169.
- "Journal of comparative literature & aesthetics". OCLC 8714643. Cite journal requires
- Dash, Bishnu Charan (ed.). Ananta Sukla : As We Know Him. New York: Cool Grove Publications. ISBN 9781887276191.
- "Author : Ananta Ch Sukla". Bloomsbury.
- "About the Journal". British Society of Aesthetics.
- Fenner, David E. W. (2008). Art in Context: Understanding Aesthetic Value. Ohio University Press. ISBN 9780804011044.
- "Journals Received". British Journal of Aesthetics. 41–2. 2001.
- "Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics". British Journal of Aesthetics. 25–2. 1985.
- Hagberg, G. L. (1998). Art as Language: Wittgenstein, Meaning, and Aesthetic Theory. United States of America: Cornell University Press. pp. ix. ISBN 9780801485312.
- "Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics". Publons (Web of Science).
- "Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics". The York Research Database.
- https://dbh.nsd.uib.no/publiseringskanaler/erihplus/periodical/info?id=497866. Missing or empty
- "Journal of comparative literature & aesthetics". HathiTrust Digital Library.
- "Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics". indCat (Online Union Catalogue of Indian Universities).[dead link]
- "Journal of comparative literature & aesthetics". National Library of Australia.