Journal of Internal Medicine
|Journal of Internal Medicine|
|Medicinskt Archiv, Nordiskt Medicinskt Arkiv, Acta Medica Scandinavica|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|J. Intern. Med.|
|Edited by||Ulf de Faire|
The Journal of Internal Medicine is a monthly peer-reviewed medical journal covering all aspects of internal medicine. It was established in 1863 and is published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the Association for the Publication of the Journal of Internal Medicine. The editor-in-chief is Ulf de Faire (Karolinska Institutet).
The journal was established in 1863 as Medicinskt Archiv by Axel Key (Karolinska Institutet). It covered the broad field of medicine, but accepted only contributions from Sweden written in Swedish. However, it soon became more international and in 1869 it was renamed Nordiskt Medicinskt Arkiv, accepting articles from all Nordic countries in Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian, with abstracts in German. In 1901, the journal was divided into two sections, one for internal medicine and one for surgery. The two parts were in 1919 fully separated into Acta Medica Scandinavica and Acta Chirurgica Scandinavica. Acta Medica Scandinavica covered general internal medicine and articles were later accepted also from the Netherlands. In 1989 the journal was renamed Journal of Internal Medicine and became a fully international journal publishing articles in English from all over the world.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
The founding editor in 1863 was Axel Key, professor of pathological anatomy (Karolinska Institutet), who remained the editor until 1900. He was succeeded 1901-1918 by Carl Gustaf Santesson, professor of pharmacology (Karolinska Institutet). Israel Holmgren professor of medicine (Karolinska Institutet) was editor of Acta Medica Scandinavica 1919 to 1957, followed by Birger Strandell, professor of medicine (Karolinska Institutet; 1958-1972) and Jan Waldenström, professor of practical medicine (University of Lund; 1973-1981). Lars Erik Böttiger, professor of medicine (Karolinska Institutet) was editor from 1981 to 1995. He was succeeded in 1996 by Göran Holm, professor of medicine (Karolinska Institutet), who in his turn was succeeded in 2006 by Ulf de Faire.
Abstracting and indexing
- Holm, G. (December 2013). "Journal of Internal Medicine - 150 years of medical development". Journal of Internal Medicine 274 (6): 503–504. doi:10.1111/joim.12135.
- C. G. Santsson. Axel Key och Nordiskt Medicinskt Arkiv. Minnesskrift. P.A. Nordstedt & Söner, Stockholm 1932.
- "Reflections on 150 years of theJournal of Internal Medicine: 1863-2013". Journal of Internal Medicine 274 (6): 499. 2013. doi:10.1111/joim.12153. PMID 24206181.
- "Israel Holmgren, M.D". BMJ 2 (5259): 1091–1092. 21 October 1961. doi:10.1136/bmj.2.5259.1091. PMC 1970034.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Medicine General & Internal". 2012 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.