Journal of Lipid Research
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|J. Lipid Res.|
|Edited by||Edward A. Dennis, William L. Smith|
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (United States)
|Delayed, after 12 months/Hybrid|
The Journal of Lipid Research is a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal that was established in 1959. Since 2000, it has been published by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. It covers research on lipids in health and disease, including lipid function and the biochemical and genetic regulation of lipid metabolism. The journal also covers patient-oriented and epidemiological research. In its aim and scope, the journal "aims to be on the forefront of the emerging areas of genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, and lipidomics as they relate to lipid metabolism and function." 
The journal is published in print and online. As of January 1, 2016, its editors-in-chief are Edward A. Dennis and William L. Smith. All articles are available free 1 year after publication, but some articles are immediately published open access if the authors choose to pay for the Author's Choice option. In press articles are available free online immediately after acceptance.
The journal was established in response to the lack of published methodologies in lipid research as perceived by Edward H. Ahrens, Jr., Donald Zilversmit, and others, who founded Lipid Research Inc. to publish the journal.
Prior to its current home at the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, the journal was based at Rockefeller University, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
- Dennis, Edward A. (2009). "Founding, early history, and transformation of the Journal for Lipid Research to an American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology journal". Journal of Lipid Research. 50 (Suppl.): S3–S8. PMC . PMID 19116414. doi:10.1194/jlr.R800093-JLR200.
- About The Journal of Lipid Research
- Chang, Mary L. (2016). "JLR co-editor Witztum steps down". ASBMB Today. American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Rodnan, Nancy (2008). "Two important changes and a reminder for authors of ASBMB publications: JBC, MCP, and JLR". Journal of Lipid Research. 49 (6): 1149. doi:10.1194/jlr.E800004-JLR200.
- Edmer, Howard A. (1984). "History of the Journal of Lipid Research". Journal of Lipid Research. 25 (13): 1425–9. PMID 6397549.
- Havel, R.J. Havel; Forte, T.M. (2000). "2000: Changes in management and publication". Journal of Lipid Research. 41 (8): 1185–1186. PMID 10946003.